The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver II for our Duchess Sanctuary in Oakland, OR. The main responsibility of this position is to provide care for horses and maintenance of the sanctuary grounds.
This position will be responsible for:
- Feeding, watering, and medicating horses;
- Observing horses for signs of injury, illness, or other significant changes;
- Communicating any problems, engaging services of veterinarian if required;
- Assisting with or performing safe/humane handling of animals during treatments and other handling routines and maintaining procedures to minimize stress on animals;
- Providing additional care for horses including blanketing and therapeutic exercise;
- Assisting with animal health care record maintenance;
- Maintaining inventory of animal care supplies – feed, bedding, supplements, medications; Procuring supplies as needed;
- Maintaining and repairing enclosures including fences and water sources, in paddocks as well as pastures; Manure management in all enclosures;
- Assisting with the repair and maintenance of other sanctuary infrastructure including shelters, barns, water systems, other;
- Performing landscaping and pasture management duties including mowing, weeding, spraying, fertilizing, disking, planting, and harrowing;
- Monitoring, training, and supervising volunteers;
- Other tasks/activities as assigned for the care of animals and maintenance of facilities.
- In the absence of the Director of Operations, share responsibility of overnight on-site supervision.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent required;
- Three years minimum experience in a ranch environment, specifically with equine, required;
- Knowledge of how to safely work with a wide range of horses who may not be easily handled;
- Strong knowledge of how to safely operate farm equipment including RTV’s, tractor, brush hog, mowers, blades, auger, water truck and trailer;
- Basic understanding of infrastructure repair and ability to use related tools for building, plumbing, and other maintenance;
- Excellent observational, communication, and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow written directions and record observations;
- Reliable and flexible attendance is essential to providing optimum animal care;
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff members, volunteers, and supervisors;
- Ability to use a computer to complete regular tasks (Word, Excel, Email, Web);
- Ability to work independently while juggling multiple competing tasks.
This position is based in Oakland, Oregon.
The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
- Full Address 1255 23rd Street NW, Suite 450 Washington, DC
- Job Street Address 1255 23rd Street NW
- City Washington
- Can Work Remote or in Office Can work either remotely or in office