Environments Assistant Caregivers are crucial, valued members at Farm Sanctuary who are tasked with ensuring our Sanctuary residents have safe and healthy living environments. This position reports to the Environment Manager and is a great fit for individuals who enjoy physical labor in an outdoor setting. Responsibilities focus primarily on barn cleaning – which is critical to the health and wellbeing of the animals in our care – but also includes grounds keeping and assisting with farm maintenance projects.
- Provide animal enclosure cleaning, including tasks such as
- Scraping, sweeping, and scrubbing pen and barn floors,
- Scrubbing perches, nest boxes, feed & water pallets
- Scrubbing walls & gates
- Raking out all bedding straw in barns
- Dusting and cleaning fixtures, including lighting and fans
- Provide general grounds work including tasks such as mowing, weeding, trimming, planting, gardening, and other related tasks
- Provide general work in support of large maintenance projects including tasks such as painting and fence maintenance
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Animal Environment Manager, Director of Sanctuary Environment and Transport, or CEO
- Prolonged periods standing and walking throughout facilities.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting (up to 60 lbs regularly; team-lift heavier amounts regularly)
- Must be able to bend, lift, push, stoop, stretch, climb, and crawl and other strenuous activities to maintain equipment and buildings
- Must be able to regularly perform work in a variety of weather conditions including high heat environments; almost all work is done in outdoor setting that is not climate controlled
- Must meet physical requirements
- Must be a team player and demonstrate willingness to help others
- Flexible with positive attitude, willingness to pitch in where needed and as assigned
- Reliable and dependable
- Must be able to communicate with others in a respectful and productive manner
- Able to follow direction and complete all tasks as assigned
- Comfort with working in sanctuary setting near all species in Farm Sanctuary’s care, including cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, alpacas, llamas, donkeys, chickens, and turkeys
- Preferred qualifications, but not required:
- Previous farm or work experience at an animal-care facility
- Farm animal handling experience and skills (large and/or small animal)
- Farm equipment knowledge & ability to drive tractors and trailers (CDL a plus!)
- Full-time, non-exempt
- Starting wage is $17.50 per hour
- Work schedule is 5 eight hour shifts per week; candidates must have flexibility to work any day of the week; regular weekend and holiday availability is required
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for veterinary appointments, animal adoptions or rescues
- Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance and free access to CALM meditation app and Nivati wellness platform
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
- City Acton