Culture Biosciences has innovated the first and industry’s only cloud bioreactor facility enabling companies to get critical experimental data faster, at their fingertips, and therefore progressing the development of sustainable materials, biotherapeutics, and more. Our teams combine their passion within science, engineering, software, and design to foster an environment of strong innovation by encouraging learning, development, problem solving, and teamwork. At Culture Biosciences we value curiosity, clear communication, kindness, collaboration, customer focus, and a drive for results.
Here's a video that explains the process.
Culture Biosciences is looking for a Cell Culture MSAT Engineer (non-GMP). The mission of this role is to ensure the quality and continuity of service expected by our customers from a bioprocess engineering perspective. This is a hands-on, generalist, engineering role focused on troubleshooting current issues and collaborating across teams to implement robust long-term solutions. Think “all the interesting parts of an upstream biomanufacturing MSAT role” but with hundreds of proprietary 250 mL bioreactor systems and no GMP red tape!
What you'll do:
- Proactively monitor and respond to any alerts in the lab.
- Troubleshoot technical issues (acute and chronic).
- Conduct root cause analyses in response to near-misses, discrepancies, and/or failures.
- Scope, collaborate on, implement, document, and communicate operational and technical improvements.
- Serve as the connection between Cell Culture Operations, Project Coordinators, and external groups (e.g. HW, SW, Automation, etc.).
- Write the python automation recipes that control our proprietary control systems.
- SW support and fairly universal template code already exist–utilizing a tool, not reinventing a wheel.
- Conduct root cause analysis in response to near-misses, discrepancies, and/or failures.
- Implement, document, and communicate operational and technical improvements.
- Assess technical feasibility before kick-off of new Tech Transfers
- Support/troubleshoot Tech Transfer activities (with task-support from the execution team on the floor).
- Collaborate/Test/Implement newly developed capabilities delivered by other functions.
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemical engineering, bioprocess engineering, or a related field.
- You have 4+ years of industry experience working in upstream biomanufacturing, with a strong preference for mammalian cell culture in stirred tank reactors.
- You’re excited to be at the forefront of developing new automation, hardware, and software technologies for upstream process development.
- You have strong working knowledge of bioreactors and ideally experience troubleshooting them.
- You’ve scaled an upstream process up down from bench-top to pilot or production-scale manufacturing (or vice versa).
- You have experience leading technical improvement projects from start to finish.
- You consider yourself a strong communicator, detail oriented, organized, and proactive.
- You enjoy helping others in the lab, sharing your knowledge and problem solving.
In return, we will support you by:
- Placing a high degree of trust in your ideas and execution.
- Bringing you up to speed on our complex internal systems and practices.
- Making ourselves available for collaboration.
- Caring about you as a whole person.
- Supporting your personal and professional growth.
Location & Schedule:
- This is an on-site role in our South San Francisco facility
- Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm
- Rotating (every 2-3 weeks) Saturday and Sunday remote on-call support
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA (prorated based on start-date)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- 3 weeks of accrued paid time off, 10 paid company holidays and a week-long winter break
- 12 weeks of parental leave at full salary
- Commuter benefits
- Access to on-site child care facility, subject to availability
- Free onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, and gym (varies based on COVID-19 restrictions)
- Annual L&D stipend for conferences, continuing education, etc.
- WFH stipend of $500 for home office improvements
Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech and technology to apply.
- City South San Francisco