Rebellyous Foods (RF) is an early-stage, plant-based food start-up. As a food production and manufacturing technology company, we are working to substantially increase the volume and lower the price of high-quality, plant-based meat products to effectively serve the foodservice and consumer retail markets. At Rebellyous, we not only produce plant-based meat, but also design new production equipment and novel production systems in order to meet growing demand. We intend to replace animal-based meat on a large scale.
Rebellyous Foods is seeking an experienced, conscientious, flexible, and detail-oriented Chief Operating
Officer (COO) who enjoys making a difference, being a part of a team, and takes pride in working in a fast-paced, constantly changing early-stage startup environment, and who can thrive working in an intensive food manufacturing workplace. As the COO you’ll be responsible for overseeing the business operations strategy and day-to-day functioning of the company. This role is crucial for Rebellyous’ continued growth and success; the COO is a key member of the senior management team and reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). In this position, the COO will manage and control diverse business operations and functions, interfacing with every functional area of the organization. As such we expect the COO to be a hardworking and inspiring leader with great people skills, have excellent business acumen, possess a commitment to our mission and demonstrate an outstanding work ethic.
Flexibility, hard work, and keen follow through are critical for employee success in a startup environment, and Rebellyous is no exception. Frequent after hours and weekend availability are required and necessary at this stage to manage and grow the company. This position is an extraordinary opportunity to get in on the ground floor with a quickly expanding, ambitious, mission-focused start-up that is poised for explosive growth.
Company Leadership Responsibilities
- Take accountability to ensure all staff members are working effectively and safely at Rebellyous
- Collaborate with the CEO in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and hiring plans.
- Develop and help implement actionable business strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives. This includes an annual operating plan and budget.
- Oversee and manage day-to-day company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture, ensuring team members thrive, and organizational goals are met.
- Lead and motivate employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication.
- Actively and visibly “walk the floor” in a manufacturing environment and maintain communication with other division leaders and employees to ensure timely awareness of daily activities that may impact operations.
- Evaluate company performance and KPIs by analyzing and interpreting operational and financial data and metrics.
- Identify areas for operational improvements; continually look for ways to increase operational efficiency, reduce costs, and maintain operational excellence.
- Aggressively manage capital investment and expenses to ensure the company achieves financial targets relative to growth and profitability.
- Support fundraising efforts in collaboration with the CEO and board of directors.
- Support preparation of investor reports.
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key customers, clients, partners, and stakeholders.
- Serve as Executive Sponsor of the Food Safety Committee; oversee Food Defense Security Practices and other areas related to Food Safety & Security and Incident and Crisis Management Responses.
- Lead daily company stand-up meetings and/or support departmental management.
- Generally maintain a presence on-site at HQ; ensure trained personnel are available and scheduled for opening and closing of the facility, and SOPs are adhered to.
- Collaborate with Engineering Operations to resolve complex facilities-related issues requiring negotiations with third parties.
- Manage company space planning efforts to ensure a work environment that supports the company goals and all employees’ needs.
- Ensure the company adheres to federal, state, local business and food industry certification requirements, taking action when necessary to enforce compliance.
Business Operations Division Lead Responsibilities
- Lead Business Operations division, which includes HR, Finance, IT and Business Administration functional areas.
- Actively manage a team of internal resources and external partners responsible for executing day-to-day activities in each of the functional areas.
- Partner with and manage the HR team to ensure all aspects of HR are being executed appropriately, including payroll management, onboarding and offboarding, documentation creation and maintenance, culture development, employee reviews, benefits administration, etc.
- As needed, step in to manage conflict resolution or investigations of HR-related issues.
- Maintain systems and software necessary to operate the company, including ERP, accounting, HR, et cetera.
- Manage external legal and regulatory relationships, including contracts, licensing, insurance, and other critical documentation and filings.
- Manage and report monthly on team goals and results.
Qualifications: Candidates should have the following credentials and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10 years of executive level operational and managerial experience; food manufacturing or biotech experience strongly preferred
- Experience managing a large team under stressful, growth-oriented conditions
- Compassionate people-management skills
- Deep understanding of various business functional areas such as HR, Finance, Marketing, IT, etc.
- Experience managing vendor and partner relationships and external professional firms such as legal and insurance
- Familiarity with financial reporting and an understanding of accrual, cash and cost accounting
- Budget management experience
- Advanced computer skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills
- Experience and comfort with public speaking
- Capable of making decisions independently and exercising excellent judgment
- Bias toward operating with a sense of exceptional urgency but with strong attention to detail
- Strong work ethic, sense of integrity and personal accountability
- Flexible and willing to take on any task to support team efforts
- Ability to obtain a WA state food worker card (required)
- Mission focus. Our company works to compete with products produced via intensive animal factory farming to address climate change, human health, social justice and animal welfare issues caused by this industry.
- Experience running and growing a business
- Experience leading a functional area within a food-focused company, ideally engineering, operations, quality, manufacturing, facilities, or finance
- Rapid-growth, start-up company experience
- Understanding of advanced business planning methods
- Understanding of food regulatory and safety compliance issues
- VC fundraising experience
- International business experience
- Keen interest in the plant-based meat industry
- Other food industry experience
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This position regularly requires long hours and may require weekend or after-hours work at any time. Significant travel may be required at times.
Physical Demands: Ability to stand for long periods of time, stoop, kneel, and reach regularly. Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50 pounds. Position is located in an intensive manufacturing environment and may
require getting involved in manufacturing for training purposes or to meet deadlines. Accommodations can be provided for those with physical limitations.
Location: This position is located in West Seattle, Washington at the company’s production facility. Compensation Package: Commensurate with experience, including a generous equity package. How to apply: Please submit an application package explaining how your experience fits the skills
needed in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are seeking to hire for this position immediately.
Feel free to email with specific questions about the position prior to applying.
Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy: At Rebellyous Foods, we aim to attract the most qualified and creative problem-solvers to the mission of providing sustainable, affordable meat alternatives. In achieving that goal, RF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our operations. Women, minorities, people of color, and those with
non-traditional educational and experiential backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Further, we are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. Discrimination or harassment in any form or based on any of the above factors is prohibited, as is retaliation against a person who has made a complaint or given information regarding possible violations of our policy.
- Full Address 4600 37th Avenue Southwest, Seattle, WA
- Job Street Address 4600 37th Avenue Southwest
- City Seattle
- Experience Level Senior-Level