WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as a Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
We are looking for a Content Manager to build our visibility, discoverability, supporter relationships, and thought leadership (in partnership with others)—bringing an editorial approach and an aligned content strategy and calendar to the entire organization.
You are ideal for this position because you have professional experience in: editorial management, content planning, writing and editing, and SEO. You are also a highly organized and detail-oriented person. And you have both a qualitative and quantitative (metrics- and results- oriented) mindset, are customer experience-obsessed, and have a commitment to our cause. Your position is pivotal in ensuring that The Humane League is an impactful storyteller, with a strong and aligned narrative (at any given point in time) across the organization’s external communications.
This is a full-time, remote position based in the US. This position requires occasional domestic travel (with the possibility of international travel). This is equivalent to approximately 2-3 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization. This position reports to the VP, Communications.
- Create and own our content strategy, ensuring we have an aligned content focus, cadence, and workflow—across the organization, our varying audiences, and our content channels—at any given point in time.
- Partner with other departments to plan out content in advance, and to manage responsive communications needs—aligned with the overall content strategy.
- Identify content opportunities to energize supporters around our mission, deepen supporter trust and loyalty, and maximize support for THL’s work.
- Expand upon, and manage our editorial content calendar, in partnership with other Communications and cross-functional team members.
- Deliver and/or partner on creating content briefs for always-on campaigns and one-off initiatives.
- Set production schedules for video, design, and written content in-line with our content calendar, including collaborating with other teams to get all the information needed for design/video to effectively and efficiently start a project.
- Oversee the narrative of our website, ensuring we have a holistic and considered approach to content updates and additions, in partnership with other Communications team members, our Digital Products team, and other staff.
- Manage our SEO strategy from a topline, goal and results-driven perspective.
- Stay on top of content trends and buzzworthy news, in partnership with our social media team, for responsive and timely content creation.
- Co-create, write, and/or edit content for flagship projects, in partnership with other teams, such as our quarterly and annual reports, Development Campaigns, and more.
- Serve as a final editor on content written by our Copywriter & Editor, across projects and channels.
- Manage a small team of direct reports, supporting them with their goals, personal development, and overall contribution to THL and our movement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A proven track record in marketing communications and editorial content management and creation.
- Superb verbal and written communications skills, with a keen eye for grammar.
- Familiarity with the principles of CX (Customer Experience), embodying a CX mindset.
- Experience with content and audience segmentation and tailoring messages for different audiences.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others in a remote work environment and in person.
- Experience in managing and creating copy for digital and print.
- Notable project management experience, including design and video projects.
- Seasoned practice working in a CMS (e.g. Contentful, WordPress).
- Proven SEO expertise.
- A keen eye for details and accountability—from deadlines, to copy edits.
- Experience managing and leading others.
- Fluency in English.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in marketing, communications, and/or journalism.
- Working familiarity with the AP Stylebook.
- Experience with Asana, or a similar Project Management tool.
- Experience creating action-driving and/or fundraising content.
- Experience working in editorial publishing.
Starting salary $57,640 or salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, optional pet insurance, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, paid sick leave, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (email@example.com) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
- Full Address PO Box 10476, Rockville, MD 20849
- Job Street Address PO Box 10476
- City Rockville