As the Director, Food Safety & Quality, you will be a key member of the Quality and Regulatory team, responsible for providing strategic direction, implementation, and execution of all programs to ensure the safety, quality, and regulatory compliance of Eat Just branded products. Our ideal candidate will be a proven leader that is highly collaborative, consistently proactive, engaged and will strive to persistently find solutions and new ideas to achieve Eat Just company objectives.
The Eat Just business is organized in two businesses which are vertically integrated:
Eat Just sources mung bean and separates the protein from the fiber and starches. The protein is then used as a critical ingredient to manufacture JUST Egg products. Eat Just, Inc. owns and operates a protein facility in the US and has partnerships for protein manufacture in Germany and Singapore.
Eat Just retail products are manufactured using Eat Just protein and technology. These products are manufactured using both Contract Manufacturing and Partnership models. JUST Egg products are currently available in North America, Asia, Africa and are expected to be in Europe later this year.
This role has responsibility for both of these businesses in each of their forms.
This role may periodically provide support to GOOD Meat operations which are focused on Cellular Agriculture.
What you’ll do
- Develop the food safety and quality strategy, provide the strategic direction, and coordinate the implementation and adherence of all necessary quality programs at manufacturing facilities (contract, external, and internal), warehouses, and raw material suppliers;
- Integrate product quality and safety programs from raw bean purchasing to consumer satisfaction;
- Align with internal and external business partners on specific objectives and programs;
- Assure that quality strategy is aligned with business strategy and internal partners across organization;
- Manage and be accountable for the relationship with external and internal manufacturing quality departments and monitor performance against Eat Just. procedures, product specifications, and relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs);
- Qualify, audit and review Eat Just manufacturing partners’ facility and quality systems to ensure compliance to Eat Just Food Safety Quality Assurance expectations;
- Work in partnership with internal and external partner quality contacts to resolve quality issues and complaints in a timely manner;
- Manage the Partner Corrective Action process, including review, trending and continual adherence to all CAPAs related to food safety and quality;
- Work closely with the Eat Just Product Development, Process Science, and Food Science teams to ensure food safety requirements and quality standards are incorporated to the development process and that standards from the development process are built into manufacturing controls;
- Be able to identify food safety and quality risks in the product or process development process and communicate risks to cross-functional stakeholders while providing solutions to mitigate those risks;
- Provide support during plant trials and production runs for product launches;
- Ensure that new Eat Just manufacturing partners are successfully on-boarded and qualified prior to commercial production by working cross-functionally with internal and external partners. Develop and coordinate any required testing, validation, and specific requirements as needed for on-boarding related activities;
- Drive continuous improvement efforts with manufacturing suppliers and internal cross-functional stakeholders to ensure ongoing development and improvements to established quality programs;
- Act as a subject matter expert for internal and external stakeholders as it relates to food safety and quality.
This is not a comprehensive list and willingness and ability to shift responsibilities and focuses is a mandatory part of this role.
What you’ll bring
Education and Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Food Science, Microbiology, or similar degree with 10+ years of progressive food industry experience in food safety and quality assurance;
- Demonstrable experience managing, developing and leading a highly effective team;
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in leading an FDA and or USDA regulated factory food safety and quality program of which includes quality systems design, management, and implementation;
- Experience in developing, implementing, and maintaining GFSI food safety and quality management programs and leading teams at a corporate and or plant level;
- Experience in multi-national business programs and support;
- Experience with external auditing, risk identification and mitigation development, and comprehensive employee food safety and quality training;
- Experience deploying and/or managing automated systems for documents and data;
- Experience in a fast-paced, scaling environment preferred;
Skills and Qualifications
- Certified as a Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI);
- Better Process Control School certification is preferred;
- In-depth knowledge of food microbiology, allergen controls, environmental monitoring programs;
- Knowledge of statistical applications including process control, data analysis, sampling and experimental design;
- In-depth knowledge of US FDA FSMA regulations, one or more GFSI schemes, and cGMPs;
- Familiarity with food safety regulations of at least one market outside of the US. Familiarity with import and export controls and procedures.;
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to comfortably work with cross-functional teams to set the gold standard for quality and food safety;
- You are confident in being a food safety expert which will require you to make business and quality risk-based decisions and recommendations based on scientific, regulatory and quality evidence;
- Critical mindset of taking a proactive, tireless, and hands-on approach to achieve company objectives while taking a practical and systems based approach to problem solving and prevention.
- You are, highly adaptable, accountable, flexible and strict while maintaining the mindset of providing solutions as needed.
Additional Information & Requirements
This is a full-time role based out of our Headquarters in Alameda, CA. At this time, work is hybrid with the expectation to be onsite a minimum of three days a week (Tuesday through Thursday) unless traveling for business needs.
This role requires the ability to travel without restriction both domestically and internationally up to 50% of the time and possess a passport or ability obtain one.
While there will be standard days and hours of work, the positions requires overnight on-call duty and the ability to work during non-standard hours when the need arises.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment, subject to accommodation as required by law. CDC defines fully vaccinated as: 2 weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines; or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnsons Janssen vaccine.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Eat Just, Inc. and its subsidiaries participate in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employees Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Eat Just is a food technology company with a mission to build a healthier, safer and more sustainable food system in our lifetimes. The company’s expertise, from functionalizing plant proteins to culturing animal cells, is powered by a world-class team of scientists and chefs spanning more than a dozen research disciplines. Eat Just created America’s fastest-growing egg brand, which is made entirely of plants, and the world’s first-to-market meat made from animal cells instead of slaughtered livestock. The company has been recognized as one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies,” Entrepreneur’s “100 Brilliant Companies,” CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” and a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer. JUST Egg has been named among Popular Science’s “100 Greatest Innovations” and Fast Company’s “World Changing Ideas” and the history-making debut of GOOD Meat was heralded as one of 2020’s top scientific breakthroughs by The Guardian, Vox and WIRED.
- Full Address Alameda, CA
- Job Street Address Alameda, CA
- City Alameda