ABOUT OCEAN CONSERVANCY
Ocean Conservancy educates and empowers people to take action on behalf of the ocean and works to protect the ocean from today’s greatest global challenges. Together with our partners, we create evidence-based solutions for a healthy ocean and the wildlife and communities that depend on it.
For more information on Ocean Conservancy, please read more here.
Ocean Conservancy (OC) is seeking a Director of Brand Strategy, Resource Development (Director) to join the organization during a time of strategic growth. Reporting into the Vice President, Resource Development, the Director will play a key role in helping Ocean Conservancy realize its mission by providing strategic leadership in the areas of brand strategy, resource development, digital messaging, and partnerships to amplify impact. This new position has been created to provide a unifying voice for Ocean Conservancy’s revenue growth marketing efforts. While a member of the Resource Development team, the Director will work across the organization and specifically with the Communications team to ensure alignment and consistent messaging. This is a highly collaborative role, working in partnership with senior leadership across the organization.
The Director will bring experience in developing holistic brand engagement and various touchpoints for a variety of different audiences. The Director will have demonstrated experience in understanding and leveraging data and industry best practices to create actionable plans resulting in stronger engagement and impact. With an eye towards storytelling and how to craft a compelling narrative, the Director will hold the through line on messaging as it relates to the Resource Development team.
The Director will be an inspiring leader who can work closely with peers, board members, external vendors, and internal constituents. The position requires a strategic thinker with a big-picture mentality and intellectual curiosity and comfort navigating a complex and evolving organization. With a commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice, the Director will embrace the importance of these initiatives throughout the organization.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics.
An Innovative Brand Strategist
- Brings progressive and applicable experience in the leadership and management of branding, communications, digital, and integrated marketing as it relates to resource development
- Dedicated experience conducting landscape analysis and research, data, and trends to create actionable plans designed for impact
- Ability to identify and develop brand positioning and strategy for multiple audiences (internal, external, Board, funders, etc)
- Manages vendors to ensure seamless direct marketing processes from strategy through analysis, including setting performance metrics for vendors and tracking performance against those benchmarks
- Will be data-driven and able to conceptualize and analyze both problems and solutions and identify key metrics that will help achieve Ocean Conservancy’s goal of increased awareness
A Relationship Builder and Influencer
- A team-builder who can bring together colleagues offering a range of perspectives and at different levels within the organization
- Comfortable working across an organization and with multiple constituents, both internal and external
- Experience working with subject matter experts to differentiate an organization or initiative from others working on similar issues
Passion for the Mission
- Strong commitment to Ocean Conservancy’s mission and values
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, complex organization where diversity of thought is valued and appreciated
- Excitement to build with the ability to take a long-term, thoughtful approach to achieving organizational goals
- Embedding the organization’s vision and values around justice, equity, and inclusion into all aspects of the Resource Development team with an understanding in how to incorporate these areas into storytelling
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- Demonstrated leadership and relationship management experience
- A track record of leading successful brand marketing efforts built around a specific issue
- Familiarity with a wide range of marketing tactics, including but not limited to digital, event, thought leadership, traditional media, and others
- Ability to think creatively, explore new avenues for improvement and implement new ideas within a fast-paced work environment
- Openness to defining a new role, and comfort with the uncertainties of designing, testing, and refining a coordinated approach to marketing for the organization
- An enthusiastic team player who thrives in a high-energy, results-oriented environment
- At least 10 years of relevant experience designing, cultivating, and implementing successful brand strategy efforts
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Ocean Conservancy is committed to equity in its pay practices and posts expected hiring ranges for each of its positions. We are targeting a hiring range of $124,000 – $155,000, which will be commensurate with the candidate’s specialty skills, years of experience, location and unique background. We are open to feedback from the market and would welcome the ability to connect with potential candidates whose salary requirements may be outside of the expected hiring range.
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy’s team, please apply here.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS
In accordance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s emergency temporary standard for private employers with 100 or more employees, you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination status, or submit to regular masking and testing, as a condition of employment at Ocean Conservancy’s meetings, gatherings, and offices. You may request an accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Alicia Salerno here.
ABOUT KOYA PARTNERS
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.
OCEAN CONSERVANCY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
- Full Address 1300 19th St NW 8th floor, Washington, DC
- Job Street Address 1300 19th St NW 8th floor
- City Washington