WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
As Director of Corporate Engagement, you will lead The Humane League’s critical work to persuade food companies around the country to adopt animal welfare reforms. Our corporate-facing programs have resulted in wins that will dramatically improve the lives of egg-laying hens, meat chickens, and mother pigs, and we are looking for a motivated, strategic leader who can carry this work forward.
This role is accountable for leading one of The Humane League’s largest programs in the US and will require coordinating high-level strategies, communicating the program’s vision of success, and working closely with other senior-level staff members to ensure alignment and partnership in the work. You will lead a department of passionate advocates and work to ensure they are supported, thriving, and growing in their roles.
You’re right for the job because you’re experienced in overseeing advocacy programs and teams and are passionate about changing our food industry for the better. You have a knack for innovation, a track record of leading a high-performing team, and you are prepared to meet the ambitious challenges ahead of you. This role reports to our SVP, Programs and Public Policy currently oversees a team of 14, including 3 direct reports.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires domestic travel, this is equivalent to approximately 4-6 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the corporate engagement department:
- Oversee the teams in the department: corporate campaigns, corporate relations, and corporate projects and ensure alignment between the three toward shared goals.
- Direct and oversee the planning, development, and implementation of corporate engagement strategies in order to accomplish the organization’s programmatic goals.
- Empower, mentor, and coach corporate engagement staff to set and implement goals and maintain consistent, high-quality performance and job satisfaction for all employees.
- Ensure staff have proper training, resources, and tools to effectively carry out their job responsibilities and identify opportunities for professional development with direct reports.
- Lead or support the recruitment, hiring, and training processes for corporate engagement staff.
- Build and support a departmental culture that is in line with The Humane League’s core values; one that builds on our DEI vision and celebrates the differences each team member brings.
- Lead corporate engagement work and maximize results for animals:
- Collaborate with leaders in the Communications, Organizing, and Public Policy teams to align on our corporate strategies and to collectively build the direction forward together.
- Lead presentations, meetings, and when applicable, project management teams, to inform and partner with other teams on corporate engagement approaches, plans, and timelines.
- Identify and implement innovative strategies for the organization to experiment with to increase our impact in programs, and maintain a knowledge base of effective advocacy tactics.
- Support collaboration with existing partner organizations on corporate engagement work, including attending or leading coalition meetings, and when applicable help identify new partnerships that can strengthen our work.
- As needed, prepare information for use by The Humane League in media, charity evaluation, board and donor reports, presentations, and other corporate engagement-focused external communications.
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess most, if not all the following qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Minimum 5 years of experience overseeing large-scale advocacy campaigns, ideally focused on corporations.
- Ability to inspire, mobilize, and empower diverse groups of people to execute new and complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to develop thoughtful, researched strategies for advocacy or business deployment, as well as out-of-the-box innovative solutions, that will translate to the requirements of leading the corporate engagement program.
- Experience coaching a team of high-performers and setting objectives, leading in hiring and training, and maintaining a collaborative and supportive team culture.
- Project management skills with the ability to oversee and structure complex projects, plan backwards, and ensure quality end-results are delivered on or ahead of schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Highly proficient in using contemporary office software applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, and the like. Demonstrated ability to learn new software quickly and objectively. Experience with any of the following is a plus: Google Suite, Slack, and Asana.
This position will close on Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 12:00pm ET.
The initial application review will happen after the application closing date above. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be notified via email with further details on the status of your application. If a candidate is moved forward, the interview process will be as follows:
- Work Simulation Exercise (completed remotely)
- First Interview (via video call)
- Final Interview (via video call)
Starting salary $98,331 or salary to commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, pet care & Rx discount plans, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (email@example.com) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
- Full Address PO Box 10476 Rockville, MD
- Job Street Address Remote
- City Rockville