How to apply: After reading this job description entirely, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining your skill set, experience, and describe why you are interested in working at Rebellyous.
Rebellyous Foods (RF) is an early-stage, plant-based food start-up. As a food production and manufacturing technology company, we are working to substantially increase the volume and lower the price of specific, high-quality plant-based meat products to effectively serve the foodservice market to replace animal-based meat on a large scale. We achieve this through the design, development, and implementation of new production equipment, methods and systems for enhanced plant-based meat production.
Rebellyous Foods is seeking a skilled, conscientious, flexible, and detail-oriented Director to lead the Equipment Research & Development (ER&D) team through mid-stage equipment and process design, development, testing, and fundamental metric research. In this position, the Director would provide technical and strategic leadership to the ER&D team to support design, prototyping, and building of new equipment for the production of plant-based meat. We are seeking leaders who enjoy making a difference, being a part of a high-performing team, and who take pride in working in a fast-paced, constantly changing startup environment and thrive working in an intensive manufacturing work environment. We are seeking mission-focused and dedicated individuals to work collaboratively with several departments and to strategically grow the company.
Flexibility, hard work, and keen follow through are critical for success for employees in a startup environment. Frequent after hours and weekend work is required. Working at Rebellyous is an extraordinary opportunity to get in on the ground level with a fast growing, mission-focused start-up, and to help build the company.
- Lead the Equipment Research & Development (ER&D) department through mid-stage equipment and process design, development, testing and fundamental metrics research.
- Serve as a strong technical and project management lead for fundamental and design research efforts to provide technical project management and team direction. Use of Agile or similar project management tools is necessary.
- Serve as a strong team leader to support 4-5 Food Production Research Engineers in their work, addressing bottlenecks, team challenges, skill gaps, and future growth opportunities for both team members and team vacancies.
- Facilitate and participate in the design, prototype, test, and building new prototype equipment in collaboration with the Production Ops and Product Development departments.
- Reporting directly to the CEO, oversee day-to-day management and execution of ER&D strategy and sync strategy with collaborative efforts in other departments.
- Lead ER&D team efforts to:
- Design and support pilot and production scale facilities based on new equipment, processes, and products.
- Extensively explore, test, uncover, and propose new manufacturing methods for current and future production lines.
- Design for advanced preventative controls for new production methods, equipment, and facilities based on principles of sanitary design.
- Use computer aided design (CAD) software to model new equipment designs or concepts.
- Use finite element analysis (FEA) and/or computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to model material processing in production equipment. Update models from bench test data.
- Design of experiments (DOE) to determine optimal production processes, equipment, and recipes.
- Simultaneously support multiple experimental food production projects.
- Coordinate with third-parties to facilitate the fabrication of prototypes and equipment.
- Evaluate new technologies for facility operation and management for implementation in future plants.
- Develop equipment and facility replication plans to support expansion.
- Lead specifically assigned R&D efforts, including directing other engineers and interns.
- Maintain product, facilities, and R&D engineering needs assessments and research plans and data.
- Propose & research new food production projects/equipment in response to bottlenecks or waste in production line engineering and facility needs.
- Establish food safety protocols for new production equipment in accordance with FSMA, National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) and state food and agricultural agencies.
- Evaluate new and novel technologies for facility design, operation, and establishment.
- Support and grow company safety initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive budget for R&D efforts, when applicable.
Qualifications: Candidates should have the following credentials:
- Six to ten years experience in systems or equipment design or research. Experience in the baking, cereals, or flour milling industry is highly desirable.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, equipment engineering, manufacturing engineering, chemical engineering, food engineering or similar degree is required. Graduate degrees are highly preferred. Ph.D. in engineering preferred but not required.
- Solid experience managing a research, design or implementation team in a real-world setting.
- Solid experience in project management, Agile, or similar systems or tools to advance projects to fruition.
- Experience using parametric-based CAD modeling programs (AutoDesk Inventor or similar preferred). Experience or education in FEA and/or CFD is highly preferred.
- Four to six years working in the food or related industry, preferably in direct food manufacturing or in production or equipment engineering.
- Advanced experience leading and managing short and long-term engineering projects and coordinating with internal employees and external suppliers, vendors, and consultants.
- Direct experience designing equipment and automation systems is necessary, preferably in the food industry.
- Knowledge of sanitary design principles is helpful.
- Willing to travel approximately 20% of the time to support R&D projects, if necessary.
- Willing to apply creative solutions to solve workflow bottlenecks; seeking a focused, fast problem solver.
- Enjoys working with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Exemplary leadership skills (no exceptions).
- Compassionate people-management skills at all levels.
- Commitment to design for safety and supporting company safety initiatives.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to excellence.
- Experience in a start-up environment is highly desirable.
- Mission focused. Our company works to end factory farming of animals.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
- Flexible and willing to take on any tasks to support team efforts.
- Good research skills and highly organized.
- Must operate with a sense of urgency and attention to detail.
- Capable of making decisions independently and exercising excellent judgment.
- Commitment to food safety.
- Handles confidential information with discretion.
- Strong work ethic, integrity and personal accountability.
- Proficiency in G-Suite applications.
- Ability to obtain a WA state food worker card.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: All positions regularly require long hours and can require weekend or after-hours work.
Highly Desirable Characteristics
- Interest in the plant-based meat industry
- Experience in the food industry
Physical Demands: Ability to stand for long periods of time, stoop, kneel, and reach regularly. Ability to lift, push, pull up to 35 pounds. We can provide reasonable accommodations for people who may not be able to meet these requirements for specific reasons.
Location: Greater Seattle area. This position is located at our facility in West Seattle, WA.
Salary: Competitive. Commensurate with position and experience.
Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy: At Rebellyous Foods, we aim to attract the most qualified and creative problem-solvers to the mission of providing sustainable, affordable meat alternatives. In achieving that goal, RF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our operations. Women, minorities, people of color, and those with non-traditional educational and experiential backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Further, we are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. Discrimination or harassment in any form or based on any of the above factors is prohibited, as is retaliation against a person who has made a complaint or given information regarding possible violations of our policy.
- Full Address 4600 37th Avenue Southwest, Seattle, WA
- Job Street Address 4600 37th Avenue Southwest
- City Seattle