As the first Director of Public Policy for The Humane League you will be responsible for building legislative power for animals by developing the strategy, building the organizational capacity, and ensuring top-notch execution to achieve policy victories for animals raised for food in the United States. This position reports directly to The Humane League President.
This is a full-time, remote, U.S. based position. This position requires some domestic travel, this is equivalent to approximately 3-6 trips per year.
- Develop, refine, and advance an ambitious 3-year strategic plan that includes:
- A model for uniting and amplifying the capacity of local animal welfare groups to achieve greater policy wins for animals;
- Identification of target states that meet factors for policy advocacy in the near and long term;
- A scalable approach to advocacy training and consultation.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with leaders in existing local animal protection organizations.
- Assess the current landscape of local animal protection organizations with a focus on strengths, needs, and how to build capacity for greater policy wins for animals.
- Track legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues, and perform policy and legislative analysis.
- Establish a municipal and state policy agenda that is inclusive of issues affecting animals raised for food, and unites a coalition of organizations around a shared strategy.
- Develop lobby and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters, action alerts, and blogs.
- Plan and implement initiatives to educate the public and foster broader public advocacy for assigned issues.
- Hire and manage a core team, with staff expansion likely every year.
- Attend fundraising meetings and/or prepare reports with the Development department.
- Serve as a compelling spokesperson; Represent THL on relevant committees and coalitions, as well as at speaking engagements, conferences, and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- An inspirational and collaborative leader who is passionate and has an unwavering commitment to The Humane League’s mission. Demonstrated commitment to ending the abuse of animals raised for food.
- Leadership experience within the nonprofit, animal welfare, private, or government sectors; at least 5 years of experience in advocacy, lobbying, electoral campaigns, or as a nonprofit leader.
- Superior policy strategist and project manager with demonstrated ability to develop and execute legislative campaign strategies and manage tactical execution to achieve results; Substantial knowledge and experience with the legislative process.
- Demonstrated track record of fundraising success.
- Shares The Humane League commitment to increasing diversity, equity and inclusion in the animal protection movement.
- Demonstrated success in effectively leading and developing staff or volunteers; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders, lead collaboratively and decisively, and tap into each team member’s strengths and expertise to set them up for success.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills, with a track record of effective external partnerships;
- The tremendous drive and persistence consistent with high achievers who aspire to achieve transformational outcomes and results.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to communicate directly and respectfully with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Project management skills with the ability to oversee and structure complex projects, plan backwards, and ensure quality end-results are delivered on or ahead of schedule, without crises.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Highly proficient in using contemporary office software applications. Demonstrated ability to learn new software quickly and independently.
Starting salary $86,450 or salary to commensurate with experience.
At The Humane League, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
- Salary Ranges $75,000 +
- Full Address PO Box 10476
- Job Street Address Remote
- City Remote
- Can Work Remote or in Office Can work either remotely or in office
- Area Where Applicant Must Live for Remote Job United States
- Experience Level Senior-Level
- Total Years of Experience 5+