Manage the growth and operations of our team of experts advancing the science of alternative proteins
The Good Food Institute is a nonprofit think tank working to make the global food system better for the planet, people, and animals. Alongside scientists, businesses, and policymakers, GFI’s teams focus on making plant-based and cultivated meat delicious, affordable, and accessible. Powered by philanthropy, GFI is an international network of organizations advancing alternative proteins as an essential solution needed to meet the world’s climate, global health, food security, and biodiversity goals.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will directly impact the transformation of the global food system by supporting the strategic growth and smooth operation of our Science & Technology team as we scale in response to the growing demands of the alternative protein industry. Working with the Vice President of Science & Technology, you will help translate high-level strategy into an implementable plan for sustainable growth of the department and coordination of our key initiatives. The Director of Science & Technology will be responsible for:
- Managing at least three team members directly and assisting the VP of Science & Technology with the oversight of the Science & Technology Department (with growth to 20+ team members planned in 2022) and with supporting our technical colleagues at our international affiliates.
- Assisting the VP of Science & Technology with coordinating project planning (each four-month cycle) and annual strategic planning across the Science & Technology Department.
- Overseeing department operations including the hiring, training, and professional development of staff; streamlining reporting processes; and developing SOPs.
- Developing systems for improving coordination across the Science & Technology teams of GFI’s international affiliates in Brazil, Europe, Israel, and Asia with the U.S. Scitech team’s activities.
- Strengthening DEI efforts internally and within the Science & Technology team’s external-facing activities.
- Helping oversee the creation, evaluation, and recalibration of Science & Technology team objectives and key results.
- Operationalizing and enacting a work plan for conducting roadmapping and prioritization activities informed by top-line organizational strategy.
- Cultivating a positive and collaborative team environment, helping to motivate the team and manage team workflow.
- Building strong internal relationships to ensure consistent, accurate information exchange between the Science & Technology team and other GFI departments, as well as our international affiliates.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Director of Science & Technology must have:
- A Ph.D. in a relevant discipline with at least six years of experience in a leadership position, or a M.S. degree in a relevant discipline with at least ten years of experience in leadership roles.
- Strong collaborative problem-solving skills in which you seek to understand and make smart decisions through effective communication and leading by example.
- Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic environment—comfort pivoting to meet opportunities while paying attention to strategic priorities.
- Excellent project management skills and familiarity with best practices for programmatic impact assessment.
- Experience managing growing teams, with the ability to mentor and inspire team members and provide stability through periods of team expansion.
- Ability to problem-solve under pressure and adapt to rapidly evolving organizational growth opportunities.
- Basic technical fluency with the fundamental technologies involved in the production of alternative proteins.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to nurturing this on your team and throughout GFI.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in plant based & other alt proteins, public health, environmentalism, climate change, animal protection, or hunger relief.
- A commitment to GFI’s values: believe change is possible, do the most good we can, share knowledge freely, act on evidence, and invite everyone to the table.
- Preferred: experience spearheading or playing a significant role in cross-sector research consortia.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about GFI’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Liz Specht, VP of Science & Technology
- Location: Remote; United States
- Travel: Two weeks per year for organizational retreats, plus one to two weeks per quarter for select speaking engagements or high-impact stakeholder meetings (once travel and in-person events can safely resume).
- Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- COVID vaccination policy: GFI requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be requested before the start of employment. GFI will consider requests for accommodations or exemptions from this policy on a case by case basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
- Salary: $133,333-140,000 (depending on experience and qualifications)
Application Deadline: June 24, 2022
Decided not to apply? If after reviewing this job description, you have decided not to apply, please let us know why by completing this short survey: https://tinyurl.com/GFIJobSurvey.
Interested in working at the Good Food Institute? Join us for the Career Opportunities Webinar to learn more about our work and ask questions about specific job opportunities! See upcoming webinar dates and more information at https://tinyurl.com/GFICareers.
- Full Address 1380 Monroe St. NW #229 Washington DC
- Job Street Address 1380 Monroe St. NW #229
- City Washington
- Area Where Applicant Must Live for Remote Job United States