EVERY™, based in South San Francisco, is a leading VC-backed food tech ingredient company using precision fermentation to create animal proteins without the animal for the global food and beverage industry. Originally founded as Clara Foods in 2014, EVERY™ rebranded in 2021 to better convey its vision to bring animal-free proteins to everyone, everywhere. EVERY™ is a team of passionate change makers who are reimagining the factory farm model with a kinder, more sustainable alternative. Leveraging precision fermentation to produce hyper-functional and one-to-one replacement proteins from microorganisms, EVERY™ is on a mission to decouple the world’s proteins from the animals that make them.
We are a passionate, determined, (and fun!) team with a vital objective, and we're on the lookout for like-minded people to join our mission. Sound like you?
The Downstream Engineer I will be an integral member of our downstream process development team. We are a start-up environment and the right person in this position can expand beyond this opportunity as you continue to grow within the organization. This is an excellent opportunity for someone to join a growing team environment, solve unique problems, leverage their existing knowledge in downstream operations and develop new skills.
- Perform various unit operations such as TFF, depth filtration, continuous centrifugation, chromatography and different purification/separation processes.
- Run scale down experiments to bench scale and assist troubleshooting the CMO operation.
- Run analytical instruments for quantification such as moisture analysis, protein analysis.
- Collect and process samples for products of interest.
- Analyze and report data to enable appropriate interpretation and follow up experiments.
- Identify and report opportunities for improvement and assist to implement as needed.
- Proactively communicate information through appropriate verbal and written means and actively participate in meetings.
- Understand and follow department and corporate guidelines, compliance and safety rules and procedures related to duties.
- Perform other reasonably related duties not expressly written in this job description as may be assigned from time to time.
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, or a related discipline, with 2-5 years of industry experience; MS with 1+ years of industry experience.
- Practical experience with and theoretical knowledge of traditional processing unit operations including TFF, depth filtration, continuous centrifugation, and chromatography.
- Prior experience in following and updating SOPs, batch records, and technical plans/reports is desired.
- Ability to travel internationally to a CMO as some international travel may be required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, across all levels of the organization.
Nice-to-have (but not required)
- Experience with technology transfer to CMOs or external partners.
- Understanding of upstream fermentation processes.
- Experience with scale up from bench to 40-400L.
- Experience with Tableau, Asana, Slack, and Google Suite.
This position is based in our South San Francisco, CA location – there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.
What EVERY™ can Offer for Full-Time Positions:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 14 paid company holidays per year
- Parental Leave: 10 weeks of parental leave and 6 weeks of childbirth leave
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
EVERY™ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- City South San Francisco