Culture Biosciences has built the first cloud bioreactor facility. Customers use our platform to develop new bio-synthesized therapeutics, sustainable foods and sustainable agricultural products. At Culture we combine our passions for engineering and operations to develop and scale our unique technology. We value curiosity, clear communication, kindness, collaboration, customer focus and a drive for results.
To learn more about our product, check out this short explainer video.
The Financial Controller is responsible for all aspects of financial management for Culture and tasked with building an in house accounting team. A successful candidate will be self motivated, excited by a fast paced environment and enjoy solving challenges. The company has previously worked closely with a small accounting firm and is primed for growth and building an internal team. During the first several months you will be working with the current team as we develop our own.
What you'll do:
- Identify positions for, build, and scale an in-house Accounting team for our financial infrastructure. Provide leadership and vision for this team.
- Manage our accounting daily activities and finance operations and develop plans for driving efficiency and automation. Oversee and manage AP, AR, journal entries and billing issues to identify resolutions.
- Work with company managers on departmental budgets, building, maintaining and accountability.
- Own the financial close process and all associated activity to deliver accurate and timely reporting to management and the Board of Directors.
- Own financial forecasting, company budget and alternative pro formas.
- Develop the team’s capabilities across a range of sub-functions: general ledger, tax, treasury, payroll, accounts payable, financial reporting, audit and legal.
- Ensure consistent implementation of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP.
- Develop, implement and maintain the internal systems and financial controls consistent with Culture’s policies and regulatory guidelines, ensuring compliance with all tax and corporate requirements and filings.
- Understand and document reporting needs, collaborate on operational issues, develop creative solutions, and provide business guidance and insight through financial reporting.
- Own insurance renewals and processing consistent with obligatory requirements and maintain accurate personal property values.
- You have a proven track record of leading and developing account teams
- You are passionate about biomanufacturing and excited to help cutting edge biotechnology companies get their products to market faster.
- You’re excited to work in a small, cross-functional team in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re excited to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- You consider your ability to organize and plan as one of your greatest strengths.
- You are empathetic, curious, and reflective; you’re able to use these skills effectively to efficiently manage a team and communicate with cross-department team leaders.
- You have 10+ years working in finance with:
- Experience leading audits
- Working with multiple entities
- Identifying and integrating ERP systems and supplemental software
- You have 4+ years audit / assurance experience from a Big 4 public accounting firm. CPA is preferred but not required for the role. Preference given for individuals with experience in start-ups
In return, we will support you by:
- Placing a high degree of trust in your ideas and execution.
- Bringing you up to speed in the domain of biomanufacturing.
- Providing a low-stress work environment.
- Making ourselves available for collaboration.
- Caring about you as a whole person.
- Supporting your personal and professional growth.
Location & Schedule:
- This is a remote-flexible position. We’re looking for someone based in the San Francisco Bay Area or the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of North Carolina.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA (prorated based on start-date)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- 3 weeks of accrued paid time off, 10 paid company holidays and a week-long winter break
- 12 weeks of parental leave at full salary
- Annual L&D stipend for conferences, continuing education, etc.
- WFH stipend of $500 for home office improvements
- For onsite employees:
- Commuter benefits
- Access to on-site child care facility, subject to availability
- Free onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, and gym (varies based on COVID-19 restrictions)
Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech and technology to apply.
- City South San Francisco