Remote in the United States
Initial Application Review: Friday, July 1, 2022
Mercy For Animals aims to end industrial animal agriculture by constructing a just and sustainable food system. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We currently seek a financial planning and analysis manager, U.S., to join our finance team. In this role, you will support Mercy For Animals’ finance operations and work with the department to ensure accurate and meaningful financial reporting.
You will do invaluable work:
- Manage departmental budget and forecast processes, including planning template preparation, managing timelines, setting up required meetings, and uploading final departmental budgets into QuickBooks
- Prepare month-end financial reporting, including departmental actual and budget/forecast reports
- Build and maintain automated financial models to support strategic decision-making for various projects, including capital allocation, business performance, and cost comparisons
- Oversee the AP process to follow up or escalate where necessary
- Proactively drive forward initiatives and ad hoc strategic projects to improve, automate, and scale forecasting and reporting
- Partner with our accounting team to understand and summarize changes in presentation to financial statements
- Update or create documentation as needed to establish or enhance business controls
- Support all team members with finance- or budget-related inquiries
- Support international team members and accounting firms with financial reporting
- Perform ad hoc financial analysis where needed
- Communicate effectively across functional areas and regions, including to nonfinancial audiences
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned by team leader
Your qualifications will take our finance team to the next level:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in finance, economics, accounting, or a related field (MBA preferred)
- Five or more years’ experience in a similar role (preferred)
- Proficiency in Excel or Google Sheets
- Knowledge and experience applying accounting principles, including financial statements
- Fluency in written and spoken English (Spanish, Portuguese, or Hindi as a first or second language a plus)
- Optimistic and positive attitude
- Ability to educate and translate technical information into digestible, easy-to-understand language for team members outside the finance team
- Ability to tactfully and thoughtfully articulate compliance and reporting guidelines and collaborate in a solutions- and service-oriented way
- Ability to work with internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization, from senior leadership to interns
- Ability to stay organized, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work through change and assist in building out infrastructure and processes in a growing organization
- Ability to travel one to two times per year for retreats and conferences
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy For Animals
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
About Your Team Leader
Your team leader, Victoria, is the global vice president of finance. She holds a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and an MBA degree from Dartmouth College. She spent over 15 years of her post-MBA career in a finance, business control, and operations capacity, mostly with large multinational, high-tech companies, while devoting her personal time to volunteering in programs designed around educational equity and supporting causes to help make the world a better place.
In 2018, Victoria made the transition to working full time in the nonprofit sector and hasn’t looked back. Outside Mercy For Animals, she is a mother to the two best kids on the planet and the best dog—her rescue, Penny.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $69,817–$79,417, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.
- City Remote
- Can Work Remote or in Office Can work either remotely or in office