Healthcare team members at Catskill Animal Sanctuary provide and coordinate the medical care required to ensure the physical and emotional health of our animals. The Healthcare Assistant (HCA) role is responsible for assisting the Healthcare Manager (HCM) and Senior Healthcare Assistant (SHCA) with all aspects of the physical and emotional well-being of our residents. The primary responsibilities are to execute basic daily health care tasks independently, conduct health checks on multiple species, maintain and update medical records, monitor inventory and procurement of supplies, support the training of junior-level staff, lead special projects, and assist the HCM and SHCA with higher level medical tasks (e.g., vet visits, annual vaccinations, etc.). This position is fast-paced and physically demanding. These responsibilities apply to both CAS locations at Old Stage and Route 32. Successful candidates will be accustomed to and thrive in such a work environment.
As a representative of Catskill Animal Sanctuary, the HCA acts in a professional and friendly manner at all times with colleagues, volunteers, and the public. The Health Care Assistant reports directly to the Health Care Manager. Daily guidance and support may be provided by the other members of the Animal Care Leadership Team.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in conjunction with HCM and SHCA to provide feedback on diagnosis, treatment plan, end-of-life care, and euthanasia decisions.
- Identify potential health concerns and communicate these assessments to the HCM
- Administer medications and treatments as listed in the daily medical logs unless specified by the HCM.
- Participate in and lead animal enrichment activities
- Conduct full body health checks, perform health care procedures on a variety of species. These include, but are not limited to wound care, administering medications, weight and skin checks, ear/nose/eye cleaning, foot cleaning and beak/hoof/toenail trims.
- Support the on-boarding and training of non-healthcare staff by documenting procedures and attending training sessions
- Support onsite visits from veterinary medical teams, farriers, shearers, and other healthcare specialists (i.e., taking notes, retrieving items, holding animals, etc.)
- Participate in the transportation of animals to medical appointments and collaborates directly with the HCM on outcomes or changes to daily care routines
- Actively keep, daily med sheet, feed board and other communication strategies current and up to date throughout the day
- Maintain health records on each animal resident across all current platforms
- Taking inventory and placing orders all supplements, medications and medical supplies using the most cost-effective measures
- Assist in daily maintenance and care of Healthcare equipment and spaces (i.e., infirmary, HC vehicle, HC office, etc.)
- Maintain human first aid kits at OS, 32, and Brown Office and restock as needed
- The desire to be part of a team dedicated to building best practices across the entire organization
- Previous farmed animal experience (e.g. goats, cows, chickens, horses, etc.)
- Veterinary technician or comparable experience highly desired
- Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in fast-paced work environment
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to work well with a variety of staff and external partners in accordance with our Code of Conduct
- Experience dealing with animal emergency situations
- Ability to perform necessary duties in enclosed & open environments in all weather conditions through the year
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Willingness to work weekends, evenings and holidays
Please have a thorough understanding of Catskill Animal Sanctuary’s mission. See our website www.casanctuary.org
This is a full-time position across both our locations at Old Stage Road and Route 32. Benefits include paid vacations and healthcare coverage.
Candidates must be available to be added to the schedule and commute to work within four weeks of offer. Must be available for a paid working interview of up to two days onsite within 2 weeks of phone interview.