The world needs our help. By 2050, there will be 9 billion people on the planet with less arable land than ever before. We need a solution to cultivate more using less and define the future of farming for generations to come. As a Certified B Corporation, AeroFarms is on a mission to do just this, growing the best plants possible for the betterment of humanity. In scaling to new locations around the world, we are seeking a Horticulture Technician to help us grow. Join us as we take vertical farming to new heights for the planet and people everywhere.
- An incredible ‘change-the-world’ company with the eyes of the world focused on our success.
- A team of motivated, intellectually curious individuals to support you.
- The backing of some very impressive firms like Goldman Sachs, IKEA, Prudential, and other leading venture funds.
Scope of the position.
To be responsible for scouting plants in all the vertical towers, following processes and instructions, continuously executing the Plan of the Day (POD) and reporting accurately, and promptly, any deviation occurring on the Grow Room, delivering excellent quality of leafy greens and microgreens cultivation/support service and, the maintenance and implementation of working programs.
Health and Safety regulations.
Necessary health, safety, hygiene, and environmental standards should be observed all the time in the Grow Room.
Plant Disease Control.
The Horticulture Technician (HT) should be highly detail-oriented, punctual, and consistent on all his/her reports and plant inspections, very communicative and coachable, and strict on his/her schedule.
The Horticulture Technician (HT) should have a set of traits and values that guide his/her actions with employees and, the Company will provide direction through his/her career. These principles are also an important tool for self-evaluation to identify strengths and weaknesses to seek self-improvement. Always observe AEROFARMS principles: Collaboration, Communication, Accountability, Agility, Respect, and Empowerment.
The Horticulture Technician (HT) will be passionate about horticulture science and plants and will share our values around all teams conducting high quality. She will be an energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high standards and good judgment. Also, our organization values individuals who can lead by example and keep focus in a team-centered environment.
Under the direction of the Horticulture Team Leader (HTL), the Horticulture Technician (HT) will contribute to inspect and maintain trays of plants; and identify their status and possible issues related to germination, irrigation, and nutrients.
The Horticulture Technician (HT) will make sure he/she will always contribute to comply with safety and quality rules on the Company, to finish tasks promptly, to be always on top of communicated priorities, to collaborate to create and keep a positive work environment, and that he/she is effectively scouting, reporting and fixing things on the towers. The Horticulture Technician (HT) should be able to operate with minimal supervision and always ask questions, tell the truth, and express feelings.
- Comply with Safety rules. Safety is everyone’s responsibility.
- Comply with Quality rules.
- Collaborate and help to create and keep a positive work environment.
- To maintain horticulture equipment.
- To record and track EC, pH, temperature, and humidity.
- To clean filters promptly.
- To perform leaf and root analysis as needed.
- To weight and mix fertilizers, including solutions for donations.
- Make sure that dosatrons are monitored daily.
- To monitor inventory of horticulture supplies.
- To fix issues related to plant growth.
- To read and use grow room software as needed to verify plant condition and equipment calibration.
- To calibrate sensors.
- To receive, monitor, and replace CO2 tanks.
- To collect nutrient solution and plant tissue samples for analysis as needed.
- To handle acids and acid management with the team.
- To correct EC, pH when out of range.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with food safety and HACCP protocols desired.
- Positive, respectful attitude.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized.
- Reliable attendance.
- Strong communication skills.
- Basic math skills.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
- Able to operate and calibrate scales, calipers, EC/pH meter, HMI, and tablet (training provided).
- Able to stand and walk for long periods.
- Able to lift/carry items up to 50 pounds.
- Able to drive scissor lift and access plants 35 feet in the air after training.
- Flexibility to work one weekend day per week.
- Full Address 212 Rome St, Newark, NJ
- Job Street Address 212 Rome St
- City Newark