WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the country and around the world.
We are currently growing our organization and after assessing the needs of THL now and in the future we have devised a new structure for the Operations department adding a number of positions. These roles will allow us to serve our growing organization moving forward and improve both operational efficiency and support to help realize our goals for THL’s culture and people-centered approach.
The People Operations team is looking for a Global People (or Human Resources) Specialist to join a group of proactive champions that live and breathe our values in an effort to make The Humane League an engaging and productive place to work. The successful candidate will be passionate about The Humane League’s mission of ending the abuse of animals raised for food.
You will be joining a team that elevates the Employee Lifecycle through these core components:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Talent Acquisition and Employee Retention
- People Development
As The Humane League’s Global People Specialist you will work as part of the larger People team reporting to the Director of People. You will work independently in performing the day-to-day human resources and organizational development functions including onboarding, compensation and benefits, employee relations, compliance, and company culture for The Humane League’s global employees (that currently span 7 countries outside the US) alongside our external partners that manage their contracts. You will work closely with our Training Specialist to ensure our global team have everything they need to succeed.
The Humane League’s People team is dedicated to creating and delivering an exceptional employee experience at every stage of the employee lifecycle efficiently and seamlessly. We strive to remove barriers and provide the tools needed to help our team develop and thrive. We’ve built an organizational culture that is unparalleled and we’re dedicated to elevating our own bar of excellence.
This is a full-time, remote position. This position requires domestic travel, this is equivalent to approximately 2-4 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
We will be holding a webinar on Thursday, August 18, 2022 at 5:00pm PDT/6:00pm MDT/7:00pm CDT/8:00pm EDT for you to find out more about the role and ask any questions you may have. The webinar will be hosted by Vicky Bond, President and LaKeisha Arndt, Talent Acquisition Manager. If you’re interested, please register here. As it’s a webinar you’ll only be able to see the presenter and not others watching. The webinar will be recorded and available here on Friday, August 19, 2022.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead efforts across Canada, Brazil, Kenya, UK, Hong Kong, Japan and the Czech Republic to design and implement systems and processes that will streamline People Operations to deliver a consistent global employee experience (in time other countries may also be added)
- Coordinate hiring, onboarding and People Operations support of staff hired through Professional Employer Organizations (PEOs) or Employers-of-Record (EOR)
- Guide and support hiring teams on the use of most appropriate, equitable and inclusive hiring methods to best assess global candidates
- Assist the Director of People in developing and maintaining global benchmark for benefits and compensation
- Develop strategies to support global talent and their managers, including developing and improving job leveling systems and career path development
- Advocate for global staff and implement DEI best practices to ensure an inclusive and equitable environment for global staff and support their wellbeing
- Oversee global administration and compliance including labor law, business registration, and data protection
- Align employee policies and practices to create consistent global procedures and account for any regional differences according to local practices and labor laws
- Coordinate and maintain international People Operations registration requirements
- Coordinate with Finance team in areas of payroll and global employee expenses
- Evaluate, manage and administrate benefits and payroll with global PEOs, international payroll and benefits providers
- Establish audit and compliance procedures for maintaining global employee personnel files, with attention to data privacy (e.g. GDPR)
- Oversee and respond to global employee grievances and global employee relations
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess most, if not all the following qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Minimum 3+ years of experience working in or with a multinational organization and experience liaising with HR partners across international teams and at partner organizations
- Familiarity with global HR best practices
- Experience working with PEOs or EOR
- Demonstrated ability to apply DEI principles to create a welcoming, inclusive, and equitable experience for international staff
- Cultural responsiveness that enables you to work and communicate effectively with staff from different cultures
- Great problem-solving skills with a solid attention to detail
- Sound judgment, organized and collaborative
- Maintain strict confidentiality and handle all matters with tact, professionalism, and discretion
- Excellent interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to support global staff in multiple time zones, which may, on occasion, require irregular hours (this would be an exception rather than typical)
Salary range $66,467 – $72,051, to commensurate with experience.
This position will close on Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 12:00pm ET.
The initial application review will happen after the application closing date above. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be notified via email with further details on the status of your application. If a candidate is moved forward, the interview process will be as follows:
- Work Simulation Exercise (completed remotely)
- First Interview (via video call)
- Final Interview (via video call)
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, pet care & Rx discount plans, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations (email@example.com) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information
- Full Address PO Box 10476 Rockville, MD
- Job Street Address Remote
- City Rockville