Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a HVAC/Refrigeration Technician to join the Facilities Department. This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position, and is eligible for full benefits.
Reporting to the Plant Supervisor, this position is responsible for overseeing, inspecting, repairing, and installing all HVACR equipment and related facility process systems within a group of Institution buildings and laboratories to ensure safe and efficient scientific and administrative operations. Systems include HVAC, refrigeration, and chilled and hot water; maintains compliance with state/local building and heating/cooling codes and regulations. Through training and/or work experience, is skilled in HVACR, enabling the application of technical knowledge to perform assigned tasks.
The internal working titles for this position could be either Plant Mechanic or Sr. Plant Mechanic. The final level of the position will be determined commensurate with the selected candidate’s level of education & experience.
- Routinely monitors the operations and maintenance of the following plant/building systems: heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration, plumbing, wastewater treatment, process sea water, pneumatic and electric / electronic controls and lab utilities (i.e., compressed air, gas, distilled water, etc.)
- Locates and diagnoses equipment failures, leaks and problem areas related to above systems; independently and/or with assistance, is responsible for timely corrective action.
- Documents all repairs and maintenance, routine equipment readings, and responses to equipment alarms.
- Coordinates plant/building maintenance and service needs with other Institution personnel (e.g., Shop Services, scientific laboratories).
- May be required to lead, assign, or direct the activities of Plant Mechanics.
- Works collaboratively on Institution major and minor construction and renovation projects and may recommend basic design changes and enhancements for optimal plant efficiency and service.
- Coordinates construction, renovation and service requirements with outside contractors and technicians.
- Provides assistance to other department trade group members as needed in the completion of work tasks.
- Performs routine building checks.
- Responds to after-hour emergency calls for repairs, power outages, storm protection and snow removal.
Education & Experience
- HS diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 1 year directly related experience in HVAC/R.
- Must have demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment as well as commitment to working collaboratively with colleagues.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Trade school certification, representing demonstrated technical knowledge in HVACR, or equivalent on-the-job training.
- 5 or more years working within the HVACR field.
- HVAC license, Universal Refrigeration Certificate.
- Ability to read and interpret As-Builts and P&ID’s.
- Valid MA driver’s license required.
- Ability to acquire a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- Person drives WHOI vehicle.
- WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to, ability to lift and or carry up to 50 lbs independently, 5 times per day. Visual abilities to include, peripheral, and ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing requirements include the ability to hear and respond to instructions, communicate effectively in loud areas (pier/dock, warehouse). Other physical tasks include occasional frequent standing/walking; use of hands for basic /fine grasping and manipulation, reaching above and below the shoulders, pushing, pulling, kneeling, bending, and stooping. Other occupational requirements include talking, traveling, working around others, and with others. Will be exposed to dust or other irritants and electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards. Physical duties are subject to change.
- Full Address 86 Water St, Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 86 Water St
- City Woods Hole