AppHarvest is redefining American agriculture by developing modern, large-scale controlled environment agriculture facilities in Central Appalachia. We’re combining conventional agriculture techniques with the most recent proven to grow fruits and vegetables that are locally grown, climate resilient, free of harsh chemical pesticides, and resource efficient. We provide access to a nutritious and safe U.S.-grown food supply for consumers.
We’re currently operating one of the largest greenhouses in North America, 60-acre controlled environment agriculture facility in Morehead, KY, and have an active development pipeline for additional facilities. These facilities grow more with fewer resources. When compared to traditional agriculture, we grow 30x more efficiently and with 90% less water. Located within a day’s drive of 70% of the U.S. population, our base in Appalachia allows us to pick our fruits and veggies when they are at peak nutrition and reduce diesel use in transportation by 80%.
AppHarvest is proud to verify our commitment to people and the planet by being a Certified B Corporation. As one of only four public B Corps in the United States, we are focused on balancing people and profit. Our goal is to promote a future of sustainable change in the agriculture industry while reducing our impact on the planet. And we're doing it all while creating jobs and helping Appalachia build a more resilient economy!
This is Farming Now.
About the Role:
As an Industrial Hygiene Specialist at AppHarvest, you will be joining a team at the forefront of reinventing sustainable agriculture by cleaning equipment, tools, and infrastructure in a thorough and efficient manner, with an emphasis on strictly adhering to AppHarvest safety rules and procedures. Dismantling, dry cleaning, wet cleaning, inspecting, and reassembling machines and equipment as directed. Protecting equipment during cleaning and safety handles all chemicals in the process.
Hours: Starts at 1:00PM, working an 8hr. shift
What You'll Do:
- Adheres to established procedures to provide a safe working environment including complying with OSHA, state/local, federal, and AppHarvest regulations
- Adheres to Quality work practices, follows GMP’s, maintains sanitary conditions and ensures that product quality is maintained. Reports conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety and quality to management
- Provides for the introduction and daily application of the quality policy in the plant to satisfy the rules that apply with respect to HACCP and other food safety programs
- Sweeps, wipes, scrubs, vacuums, sanitizes, washes, and picks up as required to keep equipment, facility, and food surfaces clean and sanitary
- Follow Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs) in order to clean equipment, facility, and food surfaces at a microbiological level
- Ensures all cleaning tools are stored properly like brushes, gloves, soap, towels, etc.
- Maintain sanitation tools and equipment in clean and working order
- Ensures all food safety related PPE is stocked throughout the facility
- Communicate with the Industrial Hygiene Lead the need for chemicals and PPE, checking inventory and requesting supplies when necessary
- Using and documenting chemical use to stated concentrations and for appropriate applications
- Verifying and documenting that correct chemicals and concentrations are used and that cleaning and sanitizing is complete to deliver equipment, facility, and food surfaces that is clean and passes all micro indicator tests
- Participate in regular meetings with Team Lead to discuss quality and sanitation improvements
- Communicates/coordinates with other departments to ensure optimum, efficient utilization of non-running time to properly maintain company’s equipment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. AppHarvest reserves the right to change duties, responsibilities and activities at any time with or without notice.
What We're Looking For:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Ability to read and comprehend printed and electronic information
- Know how to operate cleaning equipment safely and efficiently
- Knowledge of HACCP and GMPs. Previous food sanitation experience a plus
- Possess strong attention to detail
- Able to obtain Forklift certification
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods
- Ability to lift and move over 50 pounds
- Time-management, multitasking abilities, and organization skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work different shifts, nights and/or weekends
- 100% company paid insurance premiums (Medical, Dental and Vision Plans)
- 401K Company Match 100% of First 3%- 50% of next 2% and is vested immediately – it is automatically yours
- 10 company paid holidays
- Generous PTO Packages starting at 15 PTO days
- 2 Paid Mission Days for volunteer work
- Company provided uniforms and shoes (for Greenhouse Employees)
- City Berea