About the Role:
As the Manager of Integrated Pest Management at AppHarvest, you will be joining a team at the forefront of reinventing sustainable agriculture by supervising initiatives designed to naturally prevent pest and disease issues at our controlled environment agriculture facility.
What You’ll Do:
- Supervise, train, coach, and assist a team of specialists in reviewing areas where assistance is needed.
- Ensure the facility is scouted on a weekly basis to detect potential issues early and create control strategies.
- Communicate with the Head Grower to procure all needed materials in a timely manner.
- Prepare weekly biological controls based on scouting reports, evaluations, and observations.
- Provide weekly insect reports.
- Keep updated inventory of beehives and reorder on a weekly basis based on pollination reports.
- Maintain beehives in best possible shape and remove old beehives according to recommendations.
- Keep pollination marks in like-new condition.
- Maintain integrated pest management inventory as needed and ensure equipment is kept in good operational condition.
- Collect samples and send plants to the laboratory for analyses as needed and follow protocols suggested by results.
- Work in conjunction with the Compliance Manager to renew and maintain company application permits and/or certifications.
- Follow hygiene and disinfection protocols as issues arise and clean houses.
- Participate in the HACCP team and other food safety regulatory programs.
- Create records and complete compliance reporting to adhere to all state and federal regulations.
What We're Looking For:
- Degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, or Biological Sciences or 5 years equivalent integrated pest management work experience.
- Experience working with biological controls
- MUST be a self-motivated and detail-oriented person with high drive to be able to focus in a high-tempo environment with ability to adapt to changing situations daily.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Forward thinker
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Hard worker
- Hours are determined by the needs of a controlled environment agriculture system.
- Conditions typically found in a greenhouse with high humidity and varying temperatures (50oF to 110oF) and background noise approaching 70 decibels.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform computer skills and operate equipment.
- Visual and audio sensory are needed regularly.
- Exerting force of up to 50 lbs. occasionally, 20 lbs. frequently, and 10 lbs. constantly as part of lifting and moving product and equipment.
- Bending, stretching, twisting, crouching, grasping, reaching, and lifting above shoulders.
- Standing, sitting, and walking for prolonged periods of time may be required.
- Strong hygiene requirements unique to position
- City Richmond