We’re an international startup aspiring to revolutionize a budding industry where agriculture meets technology. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming experts, who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge technologists and scientists on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer. Indigo is extraordinary, and we owe that to the people who make up our community and enable success through the diversity of thought, experience, background, perspective, race, sexuality, gender, age, and everything else that makes a person uniquely themselves. Connected by a common vision and empowered by diversity, we aren’t ordinary, and neither are you. Embrace your career and join Indigo in cultivating a healthier planet fueled by unique game-changers.
Sustainability Data Science Internship Program
Our 12-week 2022 summer internship program provides opportunities for students pursuing a graduate degree to learn technical skills, develop professionally, and solve problems at the cutting edge of quantifying sustainability in agriculture. Interns are embedded on our team, are mentored by a data scientist, and collaborate directly with other data scientists, biogeochemical scientists, and engineers. In this program, you will work on projects that matter, and we will rely on your skills and insight to help us solve real problems. Our internship offers the chance to bridge the gap between academic understanding and practical, professional experience.
About the Sustainability Data Science Team
The Indigo Sustainability Data Science team builds data-driven tools to quantify and incentivize sustainability at scale. The data scientists on the team shape and build many aspects of Indigo’s carbon credit program: “Carbon by Indigo”. This program rewards growers for sequestering carbon and avoiding greenhouse gas emissions as a result of changes in the way they farm. The data scientists’ contributions range from determining what management and soil data to collect, handling gaps in those data, quantifying emissions reduction and uncertainty, forecasting, and more. We come from an array of backgrounds, ranging from biostatistics to crop modeling to psychology, applied mathematics, physics, and ecology. Our goal is to conservatively and rigorously estimate climate benefits and to build tools that enable sustainability to scale.
- Play a leading role in the following project:
- Build regression models that predict soil properties
- Deploy those models on a large number of farms, and feed their predictions into a process model that simulates soil dynamics (in collaboration with engineers and biogeochemical scientists)
- Explore alternative ways of quantifying large-scale greenhouse gas emissions using these predictions; assess bias and uncertainty; evaluate whether these new approaches to emissions monitoring pass scientific scrutiny
- Participate in the day-to-day operations of both the Sustainability Data Science team (e.g., journal club, code review, project planning) and a squad comprised of data scientists, scientists, and engineers (e.g., project planning, design discussions, stand-up meetings)
- Present your work-in-progress and final results to your peers
Currently in at least your second year of study, enrolled in a Masters or PhD program, majoring in a quantitative field, including (but not limited to) data science, environmental science, statistics, remote sensing, computer science, agronomy, economics, and applied mathematics. Formal coursework or competency in a programming language such as Python, R, Java, Matlab, and so on.
- Working on or completed an academic degree with a quantitative focus
- Experience using Python or R (or similar programming languages) for data analysis
- Experience with git or similar
- Familiarity with linear regression and other statistical learning techniques
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
- City Remote
- Can Work Remote or in Office Can work either remotely or in office
- Area Where Applicant Must Live for Remote Job