Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Machinist or Sr. Machinist to join the Facilities Department to perform routine and production machining of metals and plastics. This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position, and is eligible for full benefits.
The internal working titles for this position could be either Machinist or Sr. Machinist. The final level of the position will be determined commensurate with the selected candidate’s level of education & experience.
Machinist: Performs routine and production machining of metals and plastics.
- Performs general machining of metals and plastics usually of a routine or production nature with occasional one-of-a-kind jobs (machining ranges from lab apparatus to repair of ship’s equipment).
- Makes the simpler machine set-ups and builds simple jigs and fixtures.
- Grinds own tool bits and machines to close tolerances from drawings.
- Works with engine lathes (up to 36″), vertical- and horizontal-headmilling machines, drill presses, radial drill, band saws, table saw, bench grinders, shears, brakes, presses and rolls, and full range of hand and portable tools.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may, from time to time, deem necessary.
Sr. Machinist: Fabricates prototype instruments and devices of moderate complexity for research; repairs and modifies ships’ equipment.
- All duties outlined for Machinist but with more emphasis on one-of-a-kind jobs.
- Is capable of complex set-ups and devising more elaborate jigs and fixtures.
- May suggest minor design modifications and/or work from fairly crude sketches or models with some opportunity for contributing ideas on machinery, methods and economics.
- Works with engine lathes (up to 36″), vertical and horizontal head milling machines, drill presses, radial drill,
comparator, hardness tester, band saws, table saw, bench grinders, brazing, soldering and plastic welding equipment, shears, brakes, presses and rolls, heat treating furnace, tool post grinders, and full range of hand and portable tools.
- Performs other such duties as the supervisor may deem necessary.
Education & Experience
- Technical H.S. or vocational school machine shop program or equivalent on the job training is required.
- 2+ years’ experience in a machine shop is required.
- Senior Electrician Technical high school or vocational school or equivalent; 8 years experience as qualified machinist in tool and die or job shop and 2 years experience as a Machinist at WHOI.
- Basic knowledge and use of computer drafting and CAD/CAM programs, as well as DFX conversion programs.
- Must understand basic operation of 2-axis CNC milling machines and lathes.
- Person drives WHOI Vehicle
WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
Physical requirements include lifting 25 to 50 lbs and carrying 10 to 25 lbs 20 times per day. Physical requirements also include frequent prolonged standing and walking,repetitive motion, kneeling, bending, stooping, twisting, climbing ladders/stools, use of hands for basic grasping/manipulation, use of hands for fine manipulation, and reaching above and below the shoulders. Occupational requirements include: depth perception, ability to distinguish basic colors, hearing, talking, understanding verbal instructions and safety warnings, working around others, working with others and working alone. This job involves exposure to dust or other irritants, grease and oils, and electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards.
- Full Address 86 Water St, Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 86 Water St
- City Woods Hole