Note: If you would like to apply for this position, please read the “To Apply” section below. We will not respond to those who do not follow the application instructions.
Would you like to join a compassionate team working to change school food and nutrition education?
Coalition for Healthy School Food (CHSF), is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit that introduces plant-based foods and nutrition education in schools to educate the whole school community about the health, environmental, and social justice issues of our food choices. We are seeking a full-time Marketing and Communications Associate. A generous benefits package is included.
The Marketing and Communications Associate will work from home. The position will require occasional day trip travel and the candidate needs to live in the Northeast United States, within a few hours drive of Ithaca, NY, and/or New York City.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required with a degree in marketing or communications is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of two years of relevant post-college experience in marketing and communications.
- Strong technology skills and experience using Google products in a collaborative work setting.
The Marketing and Communications Manager must be based in or near New York State where the majority of our in-person work takes place. Applicants must have a functioning home office space for effective virtual work.
- This position will require occasional day trip travel throughout New York State and surrounding regions. Must have access to a car and be a licensed driver.
- This position will require working some nights and weekends.
- This position requires some meeting and event setup and support.
- Assist in developing and implementing strategies to effectively communicate the work of the organization and raise CHSF’s profile and policy agenda in the media.
- Develop a consistent email marketing calendar designed to increase subscribers’ engagement metrics like open rates and click-through rates.
- Establish a welcome email series.
- Create weekly/monthly/quarterly outreach campaigns to our CHSF target audiences. (e.g. school superintendent, food server directors, teachers, school nurses, and parents)
- Secure 2 to 3 earned media opportunities per month in education & parenting-related publications through securing interviews, articles, print publications, and digital media mentions.
- Grow student attendance for our virtual classes through developing collaborative projects with public & private schools and homeschooling communities.
- Increase our communication to support schools that have already adopted vegetarian menus or CHSF curriculum.
- Build systems and processes around repeatable marketing campaigns and events. (e.g. gala, online auction, charity partnership events, year-end campaign)
- Track and provide monthly reports that measure the impact of marketing on fundraising, Gala attendance, virtual classroom participation rates, and school adaptation rates.
- Other marketing and communications tasks as needed
Skills and Characteristics
- The candidate must follow and be committed to a vegan lifestyle, knowledge of whole food, plant-based nutrition. Knowledge of school food issues would be a plus.
- Enjoys working independently and thrives in a remote work environment.
- Has a creative approach to developing a strategy, however, can translate ideas into actionable projects through completion.
- Ability to effectively represent CHSF to external organizations and individuals, including leading meetings, and delivering presentations and speeches.
- Demonstrated experience articulating complex concepts to a variety of audiences via blog posts, articles, social media, and email.
- Simple photo and video editing capabilities.
- Ability to build relationships with media outlets and their staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with a strong ability to effectively engage our supporters, as well as our target audiences (parents, teachers, principals, school superintendents, and food service directors and staff).
- Being diligent and organized, with the ability to consistently complete tasks today while keeping an eye on long-term strategy.
- Enjoys brainstorming and collaborating with others in a creative environment and welcomes feedback without defensiveness.
- Attention to small details is very important.
The salary range for this position is $45,000 – 50,000 depending on experience. Generous benefits package includes employer-paid medical insurance, 3% employer matching contribution to a retirement plan after one year of employment, and paid vacation and sick leave.
CHSF is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants.
- your resume
- cover letter (in the cover letter, in addition to what you write, include):
- Links to your online marketing and graphic design work.
- Confirmation that you are vegan, with details about your interest in vegan diets/lifestyle.
- Confirmation that you live within a few hours of Ithaca, NY, and or New York City.
Please make sure that you clearly indicate how you possess relevant qualifications in your application materials and any additional strengths or advantages you could bring to this position.
No phone calls, please. IF you have questions about the job, before applying, you are welcome to email email@example.com. Please make sure to put “Application Question” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their time and interest.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Full Address POB 6786, Ithaca, NY 14850
- Job Street Address POB 6786
- City Ithaca
- Can Work Remote or in Office Can work either remotely or in office
- Area Where Applicant Must Live for Remote Job New York
- Experience Level Entry-Level
- Total Years of Experience 2+