At the forefront of farming and food, Memphis Meats is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. Memphis Meats is a mission-driven company focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
Excited about pushing the boundaries of how meat is produced? We are seeking a mechanical engineer to help bring cell-based meat to production. You should be comfortable using CAD programs to design, explore concepts and run analyses. You will then need to use prototyping tools and outside vendors to turn your ideas into physical parts. You should be excited to work collaboratively with the diverse R&D team to understand the needs of cell culture and assist the team in designing, setting up and running experiments on your designs. You should enjoy the dynamic nature of start-ups and be prepared to work quickly on many different ideas at once.
We hope to find someone creative and enthusiastic, who enjoys hands-on work to be part of our growing team.
- Brainstorming new ideas
- Designing parts in CAD (SolidWorks)
- Fabricating parts using in-house equipment (3D printer, laser cutter, drill press, etc.)
- Sending parts out for fabrication and coordinating with vendors
- Thermal, fluid, and structural analysis
- Planning upcoming experiments
- Finding novel and creative solutions to biological and mechanical problems
- Presenting your work to the larger team and explaining your ideas to people with different technical backgrounds
Please have a portfolio prepared showing that you meet these requirements.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- BS Mechanical Engineering, MS preferred
- Proficient with CAD (SolidWorks preferred)
- Large-scale manufacturing process experience (5,000+ pcs/yr)
- Experience working with sheet metal and other metal manufacturing processes
- Experience working on large machinery/systems
- Hands-on, quick-turn prototyping experience
- Experience self-managing individual projects and working with a timeline in mind
- Demonstrated experience identifying root causes of difficult problems and implementing novel solutions
- Nice to have:
- Experience working with cell culture
- Experience with computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, and thermal analysis software(s)
- Experience designing and prototyping sheet metal parts
- Full Address 804 Heinz Ave, Berkeley, CA
- Job Street Address 804 Heinz Ave
- City Berkeley
- Total Years of Experience 2+