Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Engineer to join the Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering Department. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position, and is eligible for full benefits.
The Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering Department is recruiting candidates for a new position with a focus on mechanical, electro-mechanical, robotic and acoustic systems for deep-sea applications. The work will involve mechanical design, development, assembly, test and troubleshooting of new and novel subsystems for use on autonomous undersea vehicles. Required qualifications include strong CAD skills, mechanical system analysis, and some experience with materials and fabrication processes (machining, 3D printing, welding, waterjets, etc.).
Skills and experience that are highly desirable include:
- Previous work in a high-tech production facility or research and development environment.
- Experience in working with machine shops (either outside facilities or in-house) to quote, order, monitor and inspect parts.
- Production of ASME Y14.5 drawings (Dimensioning and Tolerancing).
- Experience with mechanical analysis techniques and software, for example, ANSYS.
- Experience with systems under pressure, pressure measurement, flow control, O-rings, fastener selection and sizing, basic corrosion and other aspects of design and operation of underwater or process control equipment.
- Experience with electrical wiring and harnesses, plus basic schematics.
- Use of micro-controllers for motion control, basic sensing, actuation and sensor monitoring.
- Interest and experience in the marine environment and work at sea.
The internal working title for this position could be either Engineer I or Engineer II. The final level of the position will be determined commensurate with the selected candidate’s level of education & experience.
This is an entry level position designed to encourage the connection and application of academic training to results-oriented projects in support of scientific and research activities. Initially this position will have direct supervision to achieve structured and assigned objectives. Characteristic duties are:
- applies basic research principles and standard laboratory instrumentation to engineering design efforts;
- tests designs, calibrates instrumentation, troubleshoots mechanical/electronic systems;
- participates in report writing to document instrumentation developments and tests;
- develops basic practical engineering skills to enhance technical competence and versatility.
All of the duties of the Engineer I, plus:
- conceptualizes solutions to engineering problems;
- develops, calibrates, and tests new designs and techniques;
- troubleshoots electronic/mechanical systems;
- participates in report writing to document developments and tests;
- may supervise other personnel.
- As deemed necessary by supervisor
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or relevant scientific field.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or appropriate field with 3-5 years of relevant experience,
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be able to obtain Security Clearance at Secret level
- WHOI has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy in effect, where you must register your full vaccination status [vaccination plus booster] in order to begin your employment. The registration process is confidential and entails submitting your official vaccination records, or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to, ability to lift less than 25 lbs independently, 2 times per day; carry 10-25 lbs, 2 times per day. Visual abilities to include near, far, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing requirements include the ability to hear and respond to instructions, communicate effectively in loud areas (pier/dock, warehouse). Other physical tasks include occasional prolonged standing/walking; use of hands for basic /fine grasping and manipulation, repetitive motion, reaching above and below the shoulders, pushing, pulling, kneeling, bending, twisting, and stooping. Other occupational requirements include talking, traveling, working around others, and with others. Will be exposed to dust or other irritants and electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards. Physical duties are subject to change.
May work at least 8 hours per day and, at times in excess of 12 hours per day, 7 days per week. Sleep and work hours can deviate from those on land. May be expected to work on watch schedule (such as 8 hours on and 8 hours off or 12 hours on and 8 hours off) for all or part of a cruise or to work as hours are needed to accomplish the planned work. May need to travel during holidays and for long distances to and from foreign ports. May experience rudimentary living and working conditions, with shared and basic living quarters and laboratories. May experience bad or extreme weather conditions, including heavy seas, winter weather or hot, tropical weather. Work on deck may occur in both hot and cold conditions around the clock. Sea conditions will lead to active ship motion. Should be able to climb steep and vertical ladders and able to enter and exit compartments through hatches, doors, and sills. Should be able to carry heavy gear and participate in the loading and unloading of the ship as well as in the activities on deck and in the labs during the cruise. Shipboard environment may include: confined areas, shared sleeping quarters (berths) and bathroom facilities, small and basic berthing, fixed meal times and basic menus. Modest levels of heating, cooling, ventilation, and illumination, limited or no email and internet access and limited off-duty and recreational facilities (library, lounge, movies). May be exposed to potential allergens and irritants, including paint fumes. May experience constant and intermittent loud noises, and slippery and uneven surfaces.
- Full Address 266 Woods Hole Road Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 266 Woods Hole Road
- City Woods Hole