Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Postdoctoral Investigator to join WHOI’s multidisciplinary Ocean Twilight Zone Project to conduct a project at the interface of biodiversity and policy. The postdoc will study the biodiversity of the ocean twilight zone using environmental DNA (eDNA) and synthesize the biodiversity knowledge and potential knowledge of the OTZ gained from eDNA for the purpose of informing marine policy and conservation efforts. This is a full-time, exempt position and eligible for full benefits. The initial appointment will be for one year with the possibility of a six-month extension.
The Institution has a top-rated postdoctoral program (www.whoi.edu/postdoctoral/) that supports a dynamic postdoctoral community with formal mentoring and career guidance programs. While the primary focus of the work will be in research, the Postdoctoral Investigator will have the opportunity to participate in educational and outreach activities associated with the project.
Online application forms should be submitted with a cover letter describing research interests, a complete curriculum vitae, and the contact information of at least three references. Applications will be reviewed upon submission.
- Collect and analyze environmental DNA data and develop indicators of marine biodiversity
- Work with a transdisciplinary team of oceanographers and engineers
- Participate in the development of case studies on marine biodiversity conservation.
- Review eDNA and policy literature and create a synthesis for policy professionals.
- Write peer-reviewed publications and present results at national and international scientific meetings.
Education & Experience
● Ph.D. degree in marine science, oceanography, molecular biology, environmental science and policy, or a related field.
● Experience with marine eDNA research, including metabarcoding and/or qPCR and informatics.
● Excellent written, verbal, and quantitative skills.
● Strong interest and/or experience in marine policy.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently.
● Work well in a large interdisciplinary group.
WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
Physical duties for this position would include working in a laboratory setting, travel to national or international meetings, and potentially sea duty. Occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs may be needed.
May work at least 8 hours per day and, at times in excess of 12 hours per day, 7 days per week. Sleep and work hours can deviate from those on land. May be expected to work on watch schedule (such as 8 hours on and 8 hours off or 12 hours on and 8 hours off) for all or part of a cruise or to work as hours are needed to accomplish the planned work. May need to travel during holidays and for long distances to and from foreign ports. May experience rudimentary living and working conditions, with shared and basic living quarters and laboratories. May experience bad or extreme weather conditions, including heavy seas, winter weather or hot, tropical weather. Work on deck may occur in both hot and cold conditions around the clock. Sea conditions will lead to active ship motion. Should be able to climb steep and vertical ladders and able to enter and exit compartments through hatches, doors, and sills. Should be able to carry heavy gear and participate in the loading and unloading of the ship as well as in the activities on deck and in the labs during the cruise. Shipboard environment may include: confined areas, shared sleeping quarters (berths) and bathroom facilities, small and basic berthing, fixed meal times and basic menus. Modest levels of heating, cooling, ventilation, and illumination, limited or no email and internet access and limited off-duty and recreational facilities (library, lounge, movies). May be exposed to potential allergens and irritants, including paint fumes. May experience constant and intermittent loud noises, and slippery and uneven surfaces.
- Full Address 86 Water St, Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 86 Water St
- City Woods Hole