Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s The Ocean Twilight Zone (OTZ) project (https://twilightzone.whoi.edu/) is hiring two postdoctoral investigators to focus on midwater ecosystems and organisms. The OTZ Project is a large-scale research effort funded by TED Audacious. The project is in its fourth year of six. Current research efforts underway include: 1) quantifying and understanding the distribution of twilight zone biomass and biodiversity; 2) uncovering food web linkages within the twilight zone and between the twilight zone and other ocean realms; 3) determining the life histories and behaviors of twilight zone animals; 4) understanding the role of the twilight zone and its inhabitants in the global carbon cycle; and 5) the potential consequences of harvesting mesopelagic organisms. Interweaved through these science themes, are state-of-the-art and emerging technologies. This project is unique at WHOI due to its large investment in public awareness and global policy engagement.
This is a temporary, full-time, exempt position, and is eligible for benefits. The initial appointment will be for one year with the possibility of a 6-12 month extension.
The OTZ project is looking to fill two postdoctoral investigator positions in the following areas:
- Fish ecologist, with preference given to those with experience in fish age, growth, reproduction, or behavior;
- Integration of acoustic, net, and optical data and techniques to understand the biomass and distribution of mesopelagic organisms. Experience with processing of acoustic and optical data, inversion of acoustic data, and analysis of net samples strongly preferred.
It is anticipated that the two OTZ postdocs would work at the interface of research performed by Joel Llopiz, Heidi Sosik, and Andone Lavery. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Institution has a top-rated postdoctoral program (www.whoi.edu/postdoctoral/) that supports a dynamic postdoctoral community with formal mentoring and career guidance programs. While the primary focus of the work will be in research, the Postdoctoral Investigator will have the opportunity to participate in educational and outreach activities associated with the project.
To advance the goals of long-term broadening of participation in ocean science and engineering, we are particularly interested in attracting applicants from groups historically underrepresented in oceanography. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are integral to WHOI’s academic excellence and leadership in the global scientific community. WHOI stands committed to a sustained eﬀort to advance inclusion and belonging throughout all levels of the Institution.
An online application form should be submitted with a cover letter describing research interests and career goals, a complete curriculum vitae, up to three relevant publications, and the contact information of at least three references.
Applications will be reviewed starting July 15, 2022. Open until filled, with a starting date by the end of 2022.
- Conducting lab work related to descriptions above.
- Willing to participate in fieldwork (i.e oceanographic cruises).
- Work well in an interdisciplinary group.
- Writing peer-reviewed publications and presenting research results at national and international scientific meetings.
Education & Experience
- New or recent recipients of a doctoral degree in fish ecology, physics, engineering, oceanography, or a related discipline are eligible. Usually, scientists with more than three to four years of postdoctoral experience are not considered for these positions.
WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
No pre-determined physical requirements; all candidates should be encouraged to apply.
- Full Address 266 Woods Hole Road Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 266 Woods Hole Road
- City Woods Hole