Manus Bio is a next-generation industrial biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts that produces plant-based ingredients. We use a variety of patented and proprietary technologies to engineer microbes for the production of specialty chemicals, such as food ingredients, agricultural chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. We are seeking a highly motivated Process Design Engineer to assist with design of new processes, optimization of existing processes, capital projects, recommissioning, and startup. The ideal candidate will have expertise process design (conceptual development, line sizing, equipment sizing, mass & energy balances), process engineering (optimization, instrumentation, and data collection), engineering documentation (EFDs, PFDs, P&IDs, isometric drawings, dimensional drawings, document control, etc.), and process safety. This hands-on position requires a desire and ability to work as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team, as well as the demonstration of a high degree of flexibility, creativity, and initiative applied to the various duties and aspects of the position. This person will be expected to play an integral part of Manus Bio’s team located in Augusta, GA.
Why work at Manus Bio:
- Opportunity – For motivated, results-oriented team members, our growth creates opportunities for personal and professional advancement.
- Accountability – You are given the resources you need to succeed and the freedom to make it happen; in return, we hold each other accountable for our high expectations.
- Passion – We love what we do and enjoy working with others who feel the same way. We embrace the challenge and hard work that come with working on the cutting edge.
- Initiates/supports conceptual design of new processes, including P&ID development, scale-up calculations, mass & energy balances, EFDs, and PFDs.
- Gather and organize information to be used for developing design.
- Initiates/supports capital projects, including scope development, cost justification, control logic and start-up support. Commissioning and water-batching is critical.
- Provides Process Safety Management ownership responsibilities including process hazard analysis participation, maintaining drawings, procedures, and PSI files, and sponsoring management of change for equipment and process changes.
- Troubleshooting design issues.
- Preparation of detailed engineering reports.
- Preparation of “as-built” drawing markups based on input or physical walk downs of systems.
- Work with Process Development teams to ensure appropriate lab experiments are performed and data is collected, that processes are appropriately scaled up to the pilot plant, and that necessary pilot data is collected.
- Assist with full scale-up of pilot processes.
- Assist with identifying plant material balances, capacity evaluations, area/plant yields, and KPIs that should be monitored and reported.
- When necessary, assist with specification and procurement of appropriate equipment, instrumentation, and materials.
- Inspect and report on new processes, upgrades, or retrofits for conformance to design.
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and work in accordance with established safety and company requirements.
- Promote a positive working environment in order to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work is performed in an office and uncontrolled atmosphere. Exposure to harsh conditions—such as: dust, fumes, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and varying weather and temperatures—for short periods of time is possible. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk and hear. Ability to lift and carry 10 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
- Minimum B.S. in Chemical Engineering required (other relevant engineering degree may be considered), and three (3) to fifteen (15) years of experience in plant engineering and/or process design.
- Strong understanding of engineering core fundamentals (i.e. thermodynamics, transport, kinetics).
- Experience in an industrial setting (not commercial).
- Must be able to read and understand P&ID’s at a high level.
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written is required.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs are required.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, vendors, contractors and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Manus Bio’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.
- Training and experience in process hazard evaluation techniques as applied to OSHA 29 CFR 1910 requirements.
- Experience working in cGMP environments.
- Experience in biochemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, energy, oil and gas industries is preferred.
- Experience with engineering simulation tools (e.g. Aspen Plus, ChemCAD, etc.).
- Full Address 1030 Massachusetts Avenue, #300, Cambridge, MA
- Job Street Address Augusta, Georgia
- City Augusta