In this role you will help design, build, and commercialize new manufacturing processes, as well as drive continuous improvement of existing systems and processes. This role will report to the Director of Engineering and work closely with internal and external partners including Process Sciences, Product Development, and Manufacturing groups.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum BS degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Food Engineering with 5+ years of experience in food, chemical, or biological manufacturing. You will have an acute curiosity about process performance and optimizing plant operations. You will be able to work independently at our manufacturing plants and with our manufacturing partners and be able to creatively adapt to changing timelines and priorities. You should be willing to understand the complete production process from protein source to wastewater. Finally, you will want to be a vital contributor to a growing company.
What you’ll do
- Develop and communicate process designs through the use of process flow diagrams, P&IDs, process narratives and heat and mass balances. Utilize data developed in collaboration with Process Sciences, Pilot Plant, Food Sciences and Product Development to scale up processes to commercial scale;
- Visit partner facilities and make recommendations for capital and non-capital based efficiency improvements;
- Identify equipment and suppliers to meet process requirements. Develop and execute capital projects to implement plant and process improvements;
- Work closely with our partner manufacturing facilities to scale up and optimize Eat Just processes;
- Lead shop-floor validation and capability studies at our partner manufacturing facilities to support continuous improvement and cost savings efforts;
- Design performance tests and conduct them on projects to assure quality;
- Monitor project progression, resolve any issues that arise and coordinate team activities to maintain approved schedule;
- Control project pace and suggest schedule changes as needed;
- Create and adhere to established budgets;
- Update management team and other project engineers on project progression, completion, and any necessary updates regularly;
- Minimum of B.S. in chemical, mechanical, or biological sciences engineering;
- 5+ years of experience in process manufacturing environment in food, dairy, chocolate, fermentation and/or pharmaceutical facilities including either:
- Process engineering and design including creating H&M balances, process flow diagrams, scaling up process from pilot to commercial scales and/or,
- Project engineering including leading projects from concept through operations, equipment specification, installation, and commissioning
- Experience with drying operations, spray drying, pneumatic handling and/or dry powder packaging highly preferable;
- Experience in Sanitary 3-A, USDA, and FDA food processing as well as HAACP, OSHA, and other norms for food production, ideal;
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; ability work effectively and in close collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders;
- Strong change management skills; ability to manage projects through influence as well as through contractual arrangements;
- Experience with different types of sanitary pumps and valves.
- Innovative and creative critical thinker with an analytical mindset and strong problem-solving skills;
- Self-motivated, flexible, adaptable and possessing ability to roll with the punches in a fast-moving, fast-growing, start-up environment;
- Able to pass a standard background check.
- Experience with Spray dryer
- Experience with Extruders
- Experience with Membranes UF/MF/NF
- Experience with powder handling system and packaging
Additional Information & Requirements
This is a full-time regular position based out of our Manufacturing Facility in Appleton, MN.
This role requires the ability to travel without restrictions both domestically and internationally 10-50% of the time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and is frequently required to work standing for extended periods of time as well as climb stairs/ladders and elevated work platforms.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment, subject to accommodation as required by law. CDC defines fully vaccinated as: 2 weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines; or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnsons Janssen vaccine.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Eat Just Inc. and its subsidiaries participate in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employees Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Eat Just is a food technology company with a mission to build a healthier, safer, and more sustainable food system in our lifetimes. The company’s expertise, from functionalizing plant proteins to culturing animal cells, is powered by a world-class team of scientists and chefs spanning more than a dozen research disciplines. Eat Just created Americas fastest-growing egg brand, which is made entirely of plants, and the worlds first-to-market meat made from animal cells instead of slaughtered livestock. The company has been recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Entrepreneurs 100 Brilliant Companies, CNBCs Disruptor 50 and a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer. JUST Egg has been named among Popular Sciences 100 Greatest Innovations and Fast Company’s World Changing Ideas and the history-making debut of GOOD Meat was heralded as one of 2020’s top scientific breakthroughs by The Guardian, Vox, and WIRED.
- For more on JUST Egg, visit: http://ju.st
- For more on GOOD Meat, visit: http://goodmeat.co
- Full Address Alameda, CA
- Job Street Address Alameda
- City Alameda