AeroFarms Production Supervisor Job Description
The world needs our help. By 2050, there will be 9 billion people on the planet with less arable land than ever before. We need a solution to cultivate more using less and define the future of farming for generations to come. In 2004, AeroFarms began transforming agriculture with people and our planet at the forefront.
Applying its award-winning technology platform, AeroFarms grows using up to 95% less water and no pesticides ever to deliver products with elevated flavor, taste, consistency, and nutrition. Some of the ways we’re growing the best plants possible for the betterment of humanity include:
- Researching and understanding plants at unprecedented levels to be better farmers
- Elevating local communities by increasing access to nutritious, high-quality, consistent, and safe products in a way that’s better for people and the planet
- Protecting and sustaining our environment for future generations
- Setting a new standard for food safety and traceability in our indoor vertical farms
- Investing in our AeroFarms team and fostering a diverse company culture of inclusion, equity, excellence, learning and growth
AeroFarms is looking for a talented Production Supervisor. We’re looking for an experienced and talented individual to lead the highly automated Harvesting & Packaging operation at our new state-of-the-art facility in Newark, NJ to serve the NY Metro Area. This position will be responsible for all aspects of the automated Harvesting & Packaging including Product Quality, Product Yields, HACCP, Food Safety, to name a few.
Description: In this role, you will work with cross-functional teams to ensure that long-range goals, strategies, plans, and policies are followed. The ideal candidate will be an energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high standards and good judgment. In addition, our organization values individuals who can lead by example and keep the focus on a team-centered environment with shared success.
- Lead the start-up and operation of harvesting and packaging processes
- Manage all daily aspect of the automated harvesting and packaging operations such as:
- Drive and promote a safety culture
- Ensure all regulatory guidelines are being implemented and followed
- Continuous Improvement Knowledge and familiarization with Lean Principles
- Schedule operations to meet sales requirements
- Work closely with Logistics and Shipping Team
- Developing and maintaining processes for harvesting and packaging activities
- Staffing operations – Disciplinary actions – Hold employees accountable
- Proactively trouble shoot and problem solve
- Suggest and implement improvements to enhance efficiency, yield, and quality
- Ensure effective and ongoing compliance with:
- Food safety and HACCP
- Quality control procedures
- Ensure Quality of all products, and compliance with Product Specifications
- Recruit, train, mentor and motivate the harvesting and packaging team
- Use data to recommend and implement process improvements that enhance operating efficiencies and quality
- Lead continuous improvement programs to improve operating efficiencies, increase learning and develop new skills
- Business Acumen
- Tracking/Scanning Production Inventory
- Ability to learn how to operate harvest and packaging machines
Education or Experience: 4-year degree in a relevant discipline
Skills and Requirements
- 3 – 5 years of experience in the produce packaging / fresh cut industry
- Ability to manage change in a fast-paced growth environment with interdependent teams
- A demonstrated history of progressive team management success
- Familiarity with Safe Quality Food (SQFR)
- Strong computer skills
- Spanish/bilingual preferred – not mandatory
- Collaboration: We know we cannot fix the world’s problems as individuals – we have to work together as a team to make change happen. Teamwork is how we get there!
- Communication: We are a small company (in relative terms, 200+ employees) and we succeed because we communicate with each other. Everyone who works at AeroFarms has a strong link to the mission: we want to hear why it means something to you!
- Agility: What we do has never been done before. We are an innovative company and often there is no right or wrong way to do things. We challenge ideas to constantly improve how we operate and change directions to be the best that we can be.
- Accountability: We don’t micromanage but hire individuals who know what they need to do and can do so with minimal direction. We expect candidates to take ownership of their projects and deadlines.
- Respect: We are scaling around the world and we want our team to represent the customers and communities that we serve. We expect candidates to respect and include diverse people, ideas, and cultures in their work so that we can learn the most from one another.
- Empowerment: We provide an environment for growth and development. We will help you grow in your career and elevate your work with our team.
*Please note that AeroFarms does not work with any external staffing/recruitment vendors. Any unsolicited resumes shared with the AeroFarms team will be considered property of AeroFarms and no recruitment fees of any kind will be paid or owed unless an existing recruitment agreement exists alongside with specific engagement for the role in question.
- Full Address 212 Rome St, Newark, NJ
- Job Street Address 212 Rome St
- City Newark