The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Program Manager, Public Policy for the Wildlife Protection department working on the fur free campaign. In this position you will provide policy and general support and leadership to further the mission, goals and objectives of the Wildlife Protection department and the objectives of the fur-free campaign.
You will be responsible for:
• Leading campaign efforts to advance both local and state legislative efforts and rulemaking initiatives in accordance with the goals set by the fur-free campaign;
• Supporting federal affairs, regulatory affairs, state affairs, APL and all other relevant departments by supplying research, briefing documents, organizational comments, talking points for outreach and testimony used to advance organizational priorities of the fur-free campaign;
• Leading outreach and communication with local and national organizations, businesses and supporters to build a coalition of support for legislation led by fur-free campaign;
• Responding to local and state elected officials, volunteers, supporters and public requests and inquiries related to the objectives of the fur-free campaign;
• Monitoring and understanding opposition publications, positions, and tactics. Making recommendations to respond;
• Assisting in the development of the organization’s message, goals, strategy, and materials relating to fur issues;
• Developing and maintaining key relationship with external and internal stakeholders relating to wildlife protection campaigns.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in social or natural science or a related field or equivalent work experience required.
• A minimum of five (5) years of experience in public policy or campaign implementation required.
• Excellent interpersonal and campaign skills.
• Willing and able to travel.
• Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive.
• Ability to manage issues requiring problem resolution and conflict management with excellent interpersonal and intervention skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Attention to detail and commitment to excellence, demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes.
• Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred
This position is in the DC Metro Area- Remote Eligible
The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
When applying please submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
1255 23rd St NW, Washington, DC
Job Street Address
1255 23rd St NW
Can Work Remote or in Office
Can work either remotely or in office