Wood Hole Oceanographic Institution is seeking a full-time qualified Project Manager for a unique 2-year National Science Foundation-funded project with a start date of September 1, 2022. The NSF Convergence Accelerator program encourages and facilitates collaborations amongst academia, industry and business worlds to create solutions for the Blue Economy. Our user-inspired solution builds the first Coral Reef Digital Twin, exploiting recent advances in computational power and cloud technologies to provide millions of stake-holders universal access to intuitive, interactive, actionable data via a common visual platform. To achieve this goal, WHOI scientists are collaborating with tech leaders (Siemens Corporation, Google X), global conservation organizations (The Nature Conservancy), academic institutions (SIO, Stanford, Mote Marine Lab), Federal Agencies (NOAA, USF&W, NAMR Taiwan) and local NGOs on Pacific and Caribbean Islands.
The ideal candidate is an experienced program manager with a background in science and business, with excellent organizational and personnel management skills, and able to work in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment, across cultures, languages and time-zones. The NSF program includes an intensive curriculum of NSF-led training workshops, multiple NSF deadlines for reports and presentations, site and reverse visits, pitch presentations and EXPO’s, and a 1-year performance review. The team participates in the NSF curriculum in parallel with team meetings, workshops, product development and marketing to achieve the project deliverables.
The candidate should have experience with grant and/or contract reporting and compliance, and other financial and legal instruments and deliverables. The candidate should be flexible and have enough experience and knowledge to jump into the work immediately and generate a work-flow designed to meet deadlines and deliverables. They should have ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced, dynamic environment and with team members bringing different experiences and perspectives. Candidates must have strong written and oral communication skills and attention to detail. Ocean Science experience or interest, and experience managing start-ups is desirable but not required.
The internal working title for this position could be either Project Manager or Senior Project Manager. The final level of the position will be determined commensurate with the selected candidate’s level of education & experience. It is a regular full-time position and eligible for benefits. The position is one year guaranteed with a second year likely, but funding dependent.
· Working closely with the project PI and co-Is.
· Interface with NSF Program Director, project Coach and Project Managers of other co-I teams
· Developing strategies for management of a diverse team and for successful cross-team collaborations.
· Overseeing communications: set up and maintain communication channels including slack, box, mural etc.
· Anticipating and advising the team on requirements to meet deadlines and deliverables.
· Tracking Project’s milestones
· Preparing for meetings, co-ordinating meetings, managing schedules, summarizing and distributing meeting notes.
· Assisting with product management and marketing.
· Assisting with report writing.
· Assisting with elevator pitch development.
· Assisting with development of collaboration and IP agreements.
· Contributing to development of a financial sustainability/business model.
Education & Experience
Master’s degree in a related field with several years of experience or Bachelor’s in a related field with at least 10 years of relevant professional and project management experience. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent certification or considerable equivalent work experience.
The ideal Candidate has Experience in one or more of the following:
· Software Development/Product Development: experience developing business models and managing projects to bring a product to market
· Contracts experience: Developing and discussing contract terms, experience with intellectual property management
· System engineering: experience developing, or managing development of, technical requirements to drive product development
· Research project background: Desirable to have worked in a scientific or research development environment, experience with NSF/NIH/DOE projects
· Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience as a PM working in the listed environments.
WHOI has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy in effect, where you must register your full vaccination status [vaccination plus booster] in order to begin your employment. The registration process is confidential and entails submitting your official vaccination records, or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
- Full Address 266 Woods Hole Road Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 266 Woods Hole Road
- City Woods Hole