At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Research Associate I/II will primarily be responsible for assisting the formulations team on new product development. You should be capable of contributing to the design, troubleshooting, and execution of experiments while employing critical thinking and organizational skills throughout the product development process. You should be able to evaluate prototypes, collect data, and make recommendations on next steps. This role will require leaning on academic training and existing/current literature to screen novel solutions targeted at improving specific product attributes.
- Independently manages and executes routine product development experiments.
- Manage an entire product workstream under supervisor’s guidance.
- Supports the design of experiments to screen novel functional ingredients and processing technologies.
- Owns and organizes operational data over prototype lifecycle (formulas, photos, tasting notes, analytical testing, etc.)
- Working collaboratively with cross-functional teams to meet multiple, complex project deadlines.
- Summarizing and presenting results to their supervisor and the larger team in an organized, concise, and logical manner, both verbally and visually.
- BS in food science, meat science, nutrition, chemistry, or other applicable field, with 1+ years of relevant experience (or relevant internship experience).
- Experience in meat/seafood processing, alternative proteins, and culinary knowledge is preferred.
- Experience working in a commercial processing environment is preferred.
- Deep desire to learn, explore and experiment with new technology for cell-cultured meat processing.
- Ability to continuously challenge assumptions and create innovative solutions.
- Great communication, report writing, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Can-do attitude, full of integrity, excited to work under our Big Tent.
Who you’ll work with…
- This role will partner with R&D, sensory, regulatory, and production to develop and commercialize cultivated meat products.
- This role will most frequently interact with our Product Development and Manufacturing team.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Develop and implement formula tracking system for new product development.
- Identify and screen novel processing technologies for our cultivated meat raw materials.
- Aid in the commercialization efforts of our first cultivated meat product launch.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
- City Emeryville