Manus Bio is a next-generation industrial biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts that produces plant-based ingredients. We use a variety of patented and proprietary technologies for engineering microbes for the production of specialty chemicals, such as food ingredients, agricultural chemicals, and pharmaceuticals.
We are seeking an enthusiastic researcher to join our team as a research scientist that will specialize in optimizing and developing creative approaches of assessing microbial strain performance. Using your expertise in microbial physiology and novel assay development, you will be tackling challenges involving screening throughput, deep-well plate small-scale fermentation, and novel measurements to characterize strain productivity. Your work will be critical to the success of enhancing our ability to quickly modify and screen a microbial variants for improved production of natural products. You will be working as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team, utilizing a high degree of flexibility, creativity, and initiative applied to the various duties and aspects of your role on the Manus Team.
Why work at Manus Bio:
- Opportunity – For motivated, results-oriented team members, our growth creates opportunities for personal and professional advancement.
- Accountability – You are given the resources you need to succeed and the freedom to make it happen; in return, we hold each other accountable for our high expectations.
- Passion – We love what we do and enjoy working with others who feel the same way. We embrace the challenge and hard work that come with working on the cutting edge.
- Develop, test, and optimize small scale (e.g. 96-well) plate-based fermentation conditions and parameters for the production of complex natural products
- Develop novel assays to measure diverse target natural compounds with increased throughput
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary scientific team to effectively propose and communicate plans and results for novel approaches to measuring strain performance
- Lead seamless implementation and integration of newly developed approaches into the team’s workflows
- Head research, testing, and incorporation of augmentation and automation solutions to overcome bottlenecks in routine workflows
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Microbiology, or a related field
- Expertise in microbial physiology
- Experience in developing medium to high throughput assays for product quantification or cellular analysis
- Experience in small-scale microbial fermentation optimization (96 well plate or shake flasks)
- Critical thinker with enthusiasm for deriving solutions to complex challenges in a biotechnology lab
- Experience with molecular biology, genetic modifications, and heterologous expression of enzymes in microorganisms
Preferred Working Style:
- Must be very well-organized and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be a quick learner who is self-motivated and able to ask questions and seek clarity
- Must be flexible with day-to-day duties and able to thrive in a start-up environment
- Must be an excellent team member with strong communication skills and a desire to work collaboratively
- Must hold themselves to the highest professional, scientific and ethical standards
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Employee Status: Permanent
- Full Address 1030 Massachusetts Avenue, #300, Cambridge, MA
- Job Street Address 1030 Massachusetts Avenue, #300
- City Cambridge