It’s a Perfect Day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we’re doing just that.
Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
We are currently searching for an Analytical Chemist excited about working with proteins, peptides, and small molecules in a fast-paced start-up environment. As the newest member of the Analytical Chemistry Team, you will work on liquid chromatography (HPLC, UPLC) of proteins, supporting method development, optimization, validation, and transfer to manufacturing sites. You will collaborate with a core team of scientists and engineers in fermentation, downstream processing, food discovery, and manufacturing, and you will have the opportunity to manage a direct report. A successful candidate will have prior experience working in teams and have strong analytical chemistry knowledge to complement and build upon our current profile of bioanalytical methods to interrogate protein quality/function, structure, activity and more.
Sample preparation from bench scale fermentation and downstream processing work streams, data analysis and reporting.
Operation of analytical instruments such as HPLC and UPLC, including development, optimization, and validation of methods by HPLC, UPLC for quantification of proteins, peptides, and small molecules.
Broad hands-on knowledge of analytical techniques such as reverse phase, normal phase, size exclusion, ion exchange chromatography and ability to independently leverage those for methods development and troubleshooting.
Comprehensive data analysis skills including knowledge of biostatistics and design of experiments.
Transfer validated methods to manufacturing sites, achieving site-to-site data equity, and monitoring data quality at CMOs through a spot-check program.
Collaborate with teams in R&D, downstream processing, food discovery, and manufacturing to understand what new methods and method improvements are necessary for the success of the business.
Train RAs and technicians to run the methods developed and manage a direct report.
Write SOPs and assay transfer documentation.
Participate in project team meetings as a Bio-Analytics liaison, provide constructive input for problem solving, serve as a subject matter expert for HPLC/UPLC.
Maintain timely and detailed reports related to completed work.
Data analysis, statistical analysis, and data reporting.
Demonstrate strong problem-solving and troubleshooting capability related to analytical instrumentation.
Excellent communication and collaborative skills.
– Notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information.
– Identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
– Approaches a complex task or problem by breaking it down into its component parts and considering each part in detail.
Building collaborative relationships
– Works cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions.
– Provides assistance, information and support to others to build a basis for future reciprocity.
– Identifying what needs to be done and acts before being asked or the situation requires it.
– Seeks out others involved in a situation to learn their perspectives.
– Takes independent action to change the direction of events.
– Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems.
– Possesses an in-depth knowledge and skill in a technical area.
– Develops technical solutions to new or highly complex problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches.
– Is sought out as an expert to provide advice or solutions in his/her technical area.
– Sets up procedures to ensure high quality of work.
– Monitors the quality of work.
– Verifies information.
– Checks the accuracy of own and others’ work.
Required education and experience:
Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or other related fields.
Hands-on analytical chemistry experience with proteins and small molecules.
Previous method development and validation experience in HPLC/UPLC methods.
Expert knowledge of Agilent LC instruments and OpenLab CDS chromatography software as well as ThermoFisher instruments and Chromeleon software.
Expert knowledge of MS Office Suite and SAS JMP software.
Travel up to 15%, as needed
This position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
Preferred education and experience
5+ years of biotechnology or biopharmaceutical industrial experience in analytical chemistry.
Knowledge of Agilent LCMS chromatography instruments and software. Knowledge of GCMS and LCMS a plus.
Sample prep experience working with biological materials of bacterial, yeast and fungal origin.
Familiarity with LIMS and ELN systems.
Knowledge of Python programming language.
It’s a Perfect Day to change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!