Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Security Guard to join the Facilities Department. This is a regular, casual, non-exempt position.
Under direct supervision, performs routine security checks during the night and on weekends throughout the entire Institution. Schedule can be any of the following shifts, 4pm-12am and 12am-8am Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday the hours are 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am and 12am-8am. There is no set schedule they will be filling in vacation, sick, and port security hours.
- May function as night and/or weekend receptionist for the public and crews of visiting vessels.
- May operate the switchboard and receive and distribute communications through the use of a variety of tools and resources. Assists in the docking of vessels. Transports visiting guests as directed.
- Acts as custodian for keys to buildings, rooms, equipment and vehicles.
- Performs routine checks for security and fire throughout all buildings.
- Initiates snow removal and power failure procedures.
- Polices parking areas and contacts proper authorities in emergencies.
- Patrols entire premises to prevent vandalism and unauthorized entry. Reports trespassers to local police.
- Makes recommendations as noted on means to improve security and fire protection.
- Checks moored vessels regularly and reports any safety hazards noted.
- Works with switchboard console, fax machine, video security cameras, Uhf radio, cell and two-way talk phones.
Education & Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent education
- A valid driver’s license is required
- Must be able to obtain a TWIC card
- WHOI is a federal contractor required to comply with Executive Order 14042. As such, WHOI has enacted a Mandated COVID19 vaccination policy effective December 8, 2021 where you must register your vaccination status in order to begin your employment. The registration process entails confidentially submitting a vaccination card and/or your vaccination status or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason.
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to, ability to lift 25-50 lbs independently and carry 10-25 lbs. Visual abilities to include near, far, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing requirements include the ability to hear and respond to instructions. Other physical tasks include mostly sedentary and use of hands for basic /fine grasping and manipulation. Other occupational requirements include talking, working around others, and with others. Will be exposed to severe weather conditions and prolonged work hours. Physical duties are subject to change.
- Full Address 86 Water St, Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 86 Water St
- City Woods Hole