Consult on strategy & foster key relationships for the organization that is changing how meat is made
The Good Food Institute is a nonprofit think tank working to make the global food system better for the planet, people, and animals. Alongside scientists, businesses, and policymakers, GFI’s teams focus on making plant-based and cultivated meat delicious, affordable, and accessible. Powered by philanthropy, GFI is an international network of organizations advancing alternative proteins as an essential solution needed to meet the world’s climate, global health, food security, and biodiversity goals.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will work closely with GFI co-founder and CEO Bruce Friedrich. You will play a consulting role to shape and evangelize GFI’s global mission and communications. As the CEO’s counsel and proxy, the role requires resourcefulness, emotional intelligence, self-motivation, a passion for outreach, strong writing and editing ability, and analytical skills. The Senior Advisor to the CEO will be responsible for:
- Orchestrating and/or participating in high-level meetings with or on behalf of the CEO, including with policymakers, philanthropic foundations, NGOs, and other key individuals or organizations that can offer mission-critical support to GFI.
- Acting as a sounding board to the CEO as GFI explores new ideas and initiatives, including facilitating the rapid collection and analysis of high-level data and trends to support the organization’s awareness and understanding of emerging hot topics, as well as of potential donors, governmental entities, NGOs, etc.
- Delivering presentations and participating in events and cultivating meaningful relationships with potential partners.
- Reviewing, analyzing, and summarizing important reports, articles, and studies to inform GFI strategy and communications.
- Independently researching, drafting, and finalizing letters and correspondence, public presentations, papers, and internal memoranda.
- Consulting with internal experts to ensure accuracy of information and messaging.
- Performing any other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Senior Advisor to the CEO must have:
- Seven years of relevant experience, preferably in food and agriculture policy and/or government.
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills and interpersonal savvy.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational aptitude (capacity to juggle many projects simultaneously & with transparent project management).
- Experience, skill, and comfort collaborating, and delegating responsibilities upwards, laterally, and to external stakeholders (including to organizational principals).
- Comfort working with diverse teams of global stakeholders.
- Self-motivation and the ability to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity, and trust.
- Friendly and positive personality.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Staff management experience is a plus.
- Desire to travel and give presentations is a plus.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in plant based & other alt proteins, public health, environmentalism, climate change, animal protection, or hunger relief.
- A commitment to GFI’s values: believe change is possible, do the most good we can, share knowledge freely, act on evidence, and invite everyone to the table.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every race, color, orientation, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about GFI’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Bruce Friedrich, CEO
- Location: Remote; United States
- Travel: Desire to travel and give presentations a plus. Additionally, up to two weeks per year for team retreats.
- Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- COVID vaccination policy: GFI requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be requested before the start of employment. GFI will consider requests for accommodations or exemptions from this policy on a case by case basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
- Salary: $90,000-$100,000, depending on experience
Application Deadline: Rolling
- Full Address 1380 Monroe St. NW #229 Washington DC
- Job Street Address Remote
- City Washington