Culture Biosciences has built the first cloud bioreactor facility. Customers use our platform to develop new bio-synthesized therapeutics, sustainable foods and sustainable agricultural products. At Culture we combine our passions for engineering and operations to develop and scale our unique technology. We value curiosity, clear communication, kindness, collaboration, customer focus and a drive for results.
To learn more about our product, check out this short explainer video.
Our team is looking for a Senior Bioprocess Engineer who is excited to help us grow our technical project lead team by directly managing customer projects and working closely with operations to execute bioprocess processes. In this role, we will leverage your experience in microbial fermentation, tech transfer, process development, and project management, and supervise junior Bioprocess Engineers. As a member of the technical project lead team, you will have a direct impact on key customer projects and work with our teams to improve workflows to support robust operations.
What you'll do:
- Manage a minimum of 2 customer projects as the primary technical point of contact through the customer lifecycle
- Collaborate with Bioprocess Alliance Managers to manage customer relationships, ensuring experiments are on schedule and customer expectations are met.
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups (Tech Transfer, Operations, Product, Software, HW) by identifying and proposing process improvements to ensure bioprocess is robust for operations.
- Learn how to execute bioprocesses on our custom hardware and software (3 month on-site training, complete any remaining training required for the role).
- Translate customer experiment plans into internal experiment record
- Provide troubleshooting support to customer projects by working with the operations team.
- Work with bioprocess engineers in the operations team to script fermentation control logic.
- Address customer questions, monitor and analyze customer bioprocess data, and provide communication to customer and operations team as needed.
- Complete run reports summarizing client experiment data, learnings, and next steps to clients.
- Work with bioprocess alliance management to close out experiments and tag billable runs.
- Identify and propose process improvements to our experiment record, which may include writing new protocols when necessary.
- Mentor and manage other members of the team
What you bring to the team:
- You have 6+ years of industry experience working in microbial fermentation.
- You have 4+ years of experience working hands-on with bioreactors and ideally, experience troubleshooting them.
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biology, chemical engineering, or a related field.
- You have experience managing, leading or mentoring staff
- You have experience coding in python and/or experience with scripting fermentation control logic
- You have in-depth cell physiology understanding
- You have experience working and communicating with external clients/partners through scale-up/scale-down work.
- You have experience leading technical improvement projects from start to finish.
- Ideally, you’ve scaled up an upstream process from bench-top to pilot or production-scale manufacturing.
- You consider yourself a strong communicator, detail-oriented, organized, and proactive.
- You enjoy helping others in the lab, sharing your knowledge, problem-solving, and taking initiative to find solutions and establish scalable workflows.
- You are empathetic, curious, and reflective; you’re able to use these skills effectively to resolve conflicts and compromise with customers.
This is a hybrid full-time role based at our South San Francisco facility. Full time on-site training will be required for the first 3 months to train in operations to help you be an effective technical project lead.
- Monday to Friday (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m)
- Weekend rotation for customer and operations support will be required
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA (prorated based on start-date)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- 3 weeks of accrued paid time off, 10 paid company holidays and a week-long winter break
- 12 weeks of parental leave at full salary
- Annual L&D stipend for conferences, continuing education, etc.
- WFH stipend of $500 for home office improvements
- For onsite employees:
- Commuter benefits
- Access to on-site child care facility, subject to availability
- Free onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, and gym (varies based on COVID-19 restrictions)
Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech and technology to apply.
- City South San Francisco