Culture Biosciences has built the first cloud bioreactor facility. Customers use our platform to develop new bio-synthesized therapeutics, sustainable foods and sustainable agricultural products. At Culture we combine our passions for engineering and operations to develop and scale our unique technology. We value curiosity, clear communication, kindness, collaboration, customer focus and a drive for results.
To learn more about our product, check out this short explainer video.
Culture Biosciences is looking for a Senior EH&S and Sustainability Manager. Your focus will be on building and maintaining a culture of safety and sustainability by developing and implementing EH&S programs in alignment with Culture Biosciences corporate guidelines, regulatory requirements, initiatives and objectives. In addition, you will develop proactive direction, strategy, and technical guidance to ensure effective compliance with local, state, and federal safety, industrial health, and environmental programs.
What you'll do:
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team defining and achieving Safety, Health and Environmental regulatory compliance and work standards and associated procedures, to ensure the assets meet business needs and satisfy external regulators
- Develop, administer and improve EH&S programs for the South San Francisco site, such as training, chemical management, inspection, IIPP, Hazardous Communication, Chemical Hygiene, Risk management, Incident reporting, Emergency Action Plan, and Contractor Safety, etc.
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders to oversee risk assessments and ensure new products/process/equipment are introduced to the facility safely. Oversees/performs JHAs, safe work permits, ergonomic evaluations, etc.
- Serve as a prime driver of strategic EH&S direction in Site Leadership Team and sustainability programs.
- Direct new initiatives and improvement programs aimed at ensuring compliance, continuous improvement, technical excellence and improving cost-effectiveness.
- Lead and track investigations and assist with the development of corrective and preventive measures for EH&S incident
- BS/MS degree in Industrial Safety, Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Safety Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent
- Experienced EH&S leader with biotechnology experience, knowledgeable of current government regulations & industry best practices regarding environmental health and safety/ good lab practices.
- Experience in environmental management experience, incident investigation, vendor management, strong communication skills, ability to influence others at all organizational levels, and ability to develop and implement EH&S programs in alignment with Culture Biosciences corporate guidelines, regulatory requirements, initiatives and objectives.
- Accountable for delivery of outputs for Safety, Health and Environment function.
- Responsible for maintaining required records and permits for the site.
In return, we will support you by:
- Placing a high degree of trust in your ideas and execution.
- Bringing you up to speed in the domain of biomanufacturing.
- Providing a low-stress work environment.
- Making ourselves available for collaboration.
- Caring about you as a whole person.
- Supporting your personal and professional growth.
Location & Schedule: South San Francisco, CA
- This person will work onsite as needed in South San Francisco and potentially support future Culture sites.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA (prorated based on start-date)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- 3 weeks of accrued paid time off, 10 paid company holidays and a week-long winter break
- 12 weeks of parental leave at full salary
- Annual L&D stipend for conferences, continuing education, etc.
- WFH stipend of $500 for home office improvements
- For onsite employees:
- Commuter benefits
- Access to on-site child care facility, subject to availability
- Free onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, and gym (varies based on COVID-19 restrictions)
Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech and technology to apply.
- City South San Francisco