Culture Biosciences has innovated the first and industry’s only cloud bioreactor facility enabling companies to get critical experimental data faster, at their fingertips, and therefore progressing the development of sustainable materials, biotherapeutics, and more. Our teams combine their passion within science, engineering, software, and design to foster an environment of strong innovation by encouraging learning, development, problem solving, and teamwork. At Culture Biosciences we value curiosity, clear communication, kindness, collaboration, customer focus, and a drive for results.
Here's a video that explains the process.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is a key player in the conceptualization, design, implementation, and test of electro-mechanical hardware systems. This person must be familiar with designing mechanisms, device enclosures, machined, molded, and formed components and coordinating complex assembly methods. An understanding of fundamental engineering principles to optimize mechanical performance, system reliability, manufacturability is required, and understanding of sterilization effectiveness and biocompatibility would be a plus.
The engineer will contribute to the Hardware organization by owning bioreactor system specifications, drawings, vendor sourcing, testing and commercial product release. In addition, the engineer will participate in manufacturing process development to facilitate high quality bioprocess experiment execution.
What you'll do:
The position requires a wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in the functional engineering field and a working knowledge of other related disciplines. This individual must have a strong technical background in the design of mechanical components and assemblies as well as the ability to solve complex problems. The candidate must have the capacity to prioritize project activity, work effectively in a cross-functional team environment, and motivate others to reach objectives. Experience in Agile is a plus.
- Generate and implement concepts and solutions for new products as well as provide engineering support for existing products.
- Collaborate with other engineers, technicians, contract manufacturers, assemblers, or other support personnel to assist in design, manufacture, debugging and optimizing system performance.
- Contribute to the definition of requirements for new products, creation of engineering specifications, and verification and validation efforts.
- Give input to project plans, schedules, and specifications for new product development.
- Interface with external suppliers for component and process design, and assist the team in maintaining adequate component/equipment inventory.
- 8+ years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or a related science. An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in any of these fields is preferred.
- Experience w/ medical, biotech, robotics, capital equipment development and/or manufacturing
- Experienced in creating 3D models, complex assemblies and subsequent drawing specifications in accordance with ASME Y14.5 standard.
- Experienced in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Experienced in creatively prototyping and testing ideas via conventional rapid prototype methods including 3D printing, soft-tool injection molding, and quick-turn machining.
- Knowledge of probability and statistics
- Hands-on experience in the production environment
- Ability to work with suppliers and ensure timeline and quality achievement
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong mentorship skills
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team setting, and bringing products from concept through market release and beyond.
- Provide hands-on troubleshooting during system development, manufacturing transfer, and design verification/validation activities.
- Must be capable of clearly communicating engineering concepts, project status, and technical risk to other individuals and teams.
- A demonstrated ability to analyze and root cause complex electromechanical issues.
- This role is based at our office in South San Francisco.
In return, we will support you by:
- Placing a high degree of trust in your ideas and execution.
- Bringing you up to speed in the domain of biomanufacturing.
- Providing a low-stress work environment.
- Making ourselves available for collaboration.
- Caring about you as a whole person.
- Supporting your personal and professional growth.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA (prorated based on start-date)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- 3 weeks of accrued paid time off, 10 paid company holidays and a week-long winter break
- 12 weeks of parental leave at full salary
- Annual L&D stipend for conferences, continuing education, etc.
- WFH stipend of $500 for home office improvements
- For onsite employees:
- Commuter benefits
- Access to on-site child care facility, subject to availability
- Free onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee, and gym (varies based on COVID-19 restrictions)
Culture Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech and technology to apply.
- City South San Francisco