San Leandro, CA
Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. By leveraging our proprietary animal-free fermentation process, we have successfully produced collagen proteins optimized for use in cosmetics, personal care, as well as food and beverage applications.
As Gellies, we love what we do, and we do it with endless curiosity, a sense of purpose, and respect for nature. Our team represents a diversity of backgrounds, disciplines, and industries spanning in and outside of the sciences. And of course, we share a profound appreciation for seeing products powered by Geltor delight consumers around the world.
Our team is seeking an experienced Pilot Plant Engineer specializing in pilot plant design and operation to join our growing team in San Leandro, CA. The Sr. Pilot Plant Engineer will be charged with planning, coordinating, and executing both fermentation and downstream product recovery experiments in Geltor’s 500L pilot plant. This role will also contribute to the design, commissioning, and operation of a new pilot plant facility at Geltor’s new headquarters in Emeryville, CA later this year.
· Help create and foster a safety-first culture in Geltor’s pilot plant.
· Propose design of experiments for upstream and downstream pilot process development trials.
· Work with pilot operations staff to plan and execute 500L pilot fermentation runs and subsequent downstream product recovery processes.
· Propose, plan, and execute improvement projects related to equipment, instrumentation, and process control capabilities.
· Work with Facilities to coordinate a Preventative Maintenance program for pilot equipment.
· Troubleshoot process equipment, instrumentation, or control problems that may arise.
· Draft and update SOPs, batch records, and production plans.
· Draft and update P&IDs and control narratives for pilot equipment.
· Train and manage junior level personnel.
· Collaborate with Fermentation, Recovery, and Deployment teams to identify scale-up risks and develop methods to effectively scale-down commercial conditions into the pilot plant.
· Interact with vendors and contractors to specify and implement new equipment or capabilities.
· Collect, organize, and analyze process data and present results to stakeholders.
· Degree in Chemical Engineering or related field with extensive experience operating pilot scale equipment.
· Experience with industrial microbial fermentation.
· Strong technical background in pilot scale equipment design and operation, process control strategies, instrumentation design and operation, and equipment maintenance.
· Experience with a range of bioprocessing unit operations, including sterilization, fermentation, centrifugation, filtration, column chromatography, evaporation, and/or spray drying.
· Strong communication and presentation skills and ability to distill complex technical information and strategies into actionable recommendations.
· Ability to offer technical guidance to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
· An eagerness to do hands-on work and coach, mentor, and teach junior level personnel.
· Enthusiasm for and commitment to Geltor’s mission and values.
· Ability to travel to support technology deployment projects at partner sites (<20%).
Nice-to-have (but not required):
· Demonstrated ability coaching and mentoring junior team members.
· Experience at both lab and commercial scale; understanding of key considerations for scale up and scale down.
· Industrial fermentation experience with protein products.
· Experience with Clean-in-Place (CIP), Steam-in-Place (SIP), sanitary and aseptic design, and cGMP operation preferred.
· Experience with SCADA systems used for bioreactor control preferred (e.g., MFCS, BioXpert, Dasware, BioCommand).
Supporting Our Team:
At Geltor, our employees are what matter most. We believe in taking care of our people and their families, so we offer a full spectrum of benefits including:
· Gold level health insurance coverage for you and your dependents through Blue Shield or Kaiser, with Geltor paying 80-100% of premiums for employees and dependents based on plan selection
· Dental and Vision coverage
· 401k with match
· LTD, AD&D, and life insurance
· Flexible time off to refresh and recharge
· Voluntary benefits including cancer and accident coverage
· On campus lunches
· Mental health care through Ginger
· Commuter FSA
· Dependent care FSA
· Paid family leave
As of January 2nd, 2022, Geltor will require all employees onsite or visiting sites on behalf of Geltor to be fully vaccinated against COVID19 or have a medical or religious exemption.
At Geltor we believe the most innovative progress and scientific discoveries happen when we include, celebrate, and embrace difference. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Geltor is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. Our first products are collagen proteins optimized for cosmetics and personal care applications and produced through a proprietary animal-free fermentation process. The company was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.
At Geltor we believe the most innovative progress and scientific discoveries happen when we include, celebrate, and embrace difference. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Geltor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.