Manus Bio is a next-generation industrial biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts that produces plant-based ingredients. We use a variety of patented and proprietary technologies to engineer microbes for the production of specialty chemicals, such as food ingredients, agricultural chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Research Food Scientist to assist in developing innovative prototype and commercial food and beverage products with focus on sweetener and flavor ingredients. This hands-on position requires a desire and ability to work as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team, as well as the demonstration of a high degree of flexibility, creativity, and initiative applied to the various duties and aspects of the position. This person will be expected to play an integral part of Manus Bio’s team located in Augusta, GA.
Why work at Manus Bio:
- Opportunity – For motivated, results-oriented team members, our growth creates opportunities for personal and professional advancement.
- Accountability – You are given the resources you need to succeed and the freedom to make it happen; in return, we hold each other accountable for our high expectations.
- Passion – We love what we do and enjoy working with others who feel the same way. We embrace the challenge and hard work that come with working on the cutting edge.
- Work with new sweetening and flavor ingredients to produce new innovations, blends, physical product forms and final products.
- Developing new product prototypes to highlight the value proposition of the ingredient. Product prototypes may be many different types of food and beverage including still beverages, carbonated beverages, dairy, hydration beverages, bakery, confectionary, among others.
- Supporting sales team initiatives with formulation knowledge and solving customer challenges
- Ability to quickly optimize formulations, bring innovative solutions, and interact at an international level with many different large and small customers.
- Work is performed primarily in an office and laboratory environment. Exposure to food laboratory chemicals such as acids and bases, inorganic salts, solvents, dusts, powders, flavors and intense sweeteners will be a normal part of the job. Production environments are on-site and occasional production trial support on product innovation is possible. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk and hear. Ability to lift and carry 10 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
- Ability to use basic formulation and laboratory skills (e.g. analytical balance) to create food and beverage products such as carbonated soft drinks, ice cream, confectionary, and bakery items.
- Strong understanding of food science and how ingredients interact and ability to apply this knowledge to solving challenges in food and beverage formulation with new ingredients
- Ability to quickly respond to new and challenging formulation projects
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written is required.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs are required.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, vendors, contractors and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Manus Bio’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.
- Experience working in food formulation laboratory
- BS or higher degree in a food science discipline or equivalent industrial experience
- Innovative mindset and a positive outlook towards finding solutions
- Interest and general knowledge of the food and beverage marketplace and ingredient marketplace
- Working knowledge of natural sweeteners and flavors ideal
- Understanding of basic sensory test methodology and application to product development
- Full Address 1030 Massachusetts Avenue, #300, Cambridge, MA
- Job Street Address Augusta, Georgia
- City Augusta