Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Information Services Department. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position, and is eligible for full benefits.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Applications Development, the Senior Software Engineer will work closely with our Scientists and Researchers to maximize the potential of their creative and innovative research projects. This individual will leverage deep technical application development expertise in support of multiple scientific endeavors. This individual is responsible for development of software that follow SDLC standards and best practices, as well as application training, mentoring and overseeing the work of more junior developers.
The internal working title for this position could be Information Systems Associate III. The final level of the position will be determined commensurate with the selected candidate’s level of education & experience.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Working with scientific research departments to meet the needs of scientists, researchers and engineers. May also work on various G&A programming projects.
- Work with databases and big data to support research objectives
- Ability to leverage technical ability on demand
- Write software to perform statistical analysis of research being conducted throughout the scientific departments
- Utilize expert programming capabilities for experimental data numerical analysis, data mining, machine learning, and other technical work
- Use your knowledge of industry best practices to create and maintain scalable software
- Ability to “own” projects and deliver within set timelines and due dates
- Research solutions and provide innovation and creativity to solving outstanding issues
- Ability to multi-task, and show initiative and flexibility
- Provide quality output to meet project criteria
Education & Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Bioinformatics
A minimum of 8-10 years programming experience including:
- Python (libraries include Pandas, SciKit, NumPy, etc.)
- GIT version Control
- Package creation and deployment
- Automated testing and delivery
- Database administration and development
- Linux based operating systems
- Experience with Docker virtualization environments
This person will be dedicated to working on BCO-DMO tasks. In addition to the Senior Software engineer tasks as outlined above this person will need to have the following qualifications:
- API development
- Jupyter Notebooks
Web Data Representation
- Semantic Web
- EC2 & S3
- Lambda development
- ECR & Fargate
- AWS security
- Infrastructure as code (Terraform)
- VPC management
Database and Data Management
- Knowledge Graph databases
- SPARQL queries
- Machine Learning basics
- Automated data ingestion techniques
- A Master’s Degree or Ph.D.
- Parallel Programming experience in an HPC environment including GPU, is a plus
- Machine learning experience a plus
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to, visual abilities to include depth perception, ability to see peripherally, ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus, ability to distinguish basic colors. Ability to hear and respond to instructions. Ability to work with and around others as well as alone. Other physical tasks include occasional standing/walking; manual dexterity and mobility, use of hands for basic/fine grasping/manipulation, and repetitive motion (keyboard and mouse). Physical duties are subject to change.
- Full Address 86 Water St, Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 86 Water St
- City Woods Hole
- Experience Level Senior-Level