The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Senior Specialist, International Disaster Response for the Global Animal Rescue and Response (GARR) department. In this position you will work with the employees of the Global Animal Rescue and Response department and members of the anti-dog meat campaign to achieve the priority initiative goals of HSI’s international disaster and animal rescue program and dog meat program.
You will be responsible for:
- Facilitating and supporting the development and implementation of strategies, initiatives, tools, plans, processes, and procedures to help achieve program goals in all stages of the disaster management cycle including, but not limited to increasing global capacity responding to disasters, implementing training programs for regional teams to professionalize and improve response skills, and engaging governments and other stakeholders in including animals in disaster plans and preparedness;
- Providing hands-on support for field services including expert humane handling, capture of animals and animal behavior monitoring and evaluation;
- Supporting program research and partnership goals by identifying and pursuing compatible, ethical, and relevant partner organizations or institutions, areas of study or focus, and potential external funding opportunities;
- Assisting with logistics planning to execute successful disaster and cruelty response efforts;
- Providing regular updates, identifying, and assessing needs and developing capacity and fostering cohesiveness for global regional disaster representatives;
- Providing grant support including tracking and reporting, as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required;
- A minimum of five (4) years of experience developing and/or managing projects and handling animals required;
- Experience with one or more of the following highly desirable;
- Working with underserved, vulnerable, or marginalized communities
- Developing or assessing disaster mitigation strategies
- Project development, management, and/or monitoring and evaluation
- Developing and cultivating partnerships
- Scientific research (study design, methodology, meta-analysis, etc.)
- Ability to travel extensively in the US and internationally, on short notice to assist in animal rescue and work outside standard business hours if necessary;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Ability to multitask and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence, demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This is a remote position.
When applying please submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
- Full Address 1255 23rd St NW, Washington, DC
- Job Street Address 1255 23rd St NW
- City Washington