The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Senior Specialist, Political Affairs for its affiliate Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF). In this position you will promote the animal protection goals of the Humane Society Legislative Fund through programs, policies, legislative and political work. This position supports the Political Affairs department in administration of Political Action Committees, volunteer activities, independent expenditures, endorsements, communications, and fundraising. Provides accounting and administrative support to HSLF, including the internship program.
You will be responsible for:
- Managing PACs for the Humane Society Legislative Fund, including ensuring regulatory compliance in each state, arranging reporting to state election boards, preparing bank accounts, arranging registration paperwork and staffing, and training staff on compliance and political time keeping procedures;
- Supporting creation of PAC budgets and expenditure plans. Creating and maintaining records of donations, disbursements, and updating staff and the Accounting department;
- Supporting volunteer efforts to conduct voter outreach and support endorsed candidates during election periods, providing contacts, updates, and directions through direct communications and the volunteer database. Developing and maintaining volunteer engagement;
- Preparing HSLF’s endorsement process at the state and local level, including developing and reviewing candidate questionnaires, scheduling interviews, compiling research, and preparing supporting documentation;
- Preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual PAC reports to comply with Federal Election Commission campaign finance law and State Boards of Elections requirements. Tracking and reporting staff expenditures during election periods;
- Supporting HSLF’s political internship program, including recruitment and hiring and maintaining the intern application database;
- Maintaining political records. Preparing reports for external and internal stakeholders;
- Responding to internal and external inquiries concerning matters including HSLF administration and the volunteer program;
- Managing the planning and executing of HSLF-sponsored political events;
- Performing other duties or responsibilities, as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Nonprofit Management, or another related field, or equivalent work experience required;
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in project management, political organizing, volunteer coordination, or another related field required;
- Supervisory/management experience preferred;
- Strong knowledge of political campaigns and endorsements, election law, and lobbying;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Ability to multitask and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
Please upload your resume and cover letter as one document.
**The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
- Full Address 1255 23rd Street NW, Suite 450 Washington, DC
- Job Street Address 1255 23rd Street NW,
- City Washington, DC