$26.00+ per hour / 40 hours per week + full benefits
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Senior Veterinary Technician for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, Texas. The sanctuary provides a permanent home to more than 800 domestic and exotic animals, with over 40 species. In this position you will perform clinical treatments, anesthesia, diagnostic procedures, radiology, prescribing and administering pharmacy items, chemical capture, and surgical assistance under the supervision of the Director of Veterinary Medicine at CABBR. You will supervise and implement the veterinary technician internship/externship program.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing all aspects of veterinary care for animals under the supervision of the Director of Veterinary Medicine at Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch;
- Conducting diagnostics including fecal analysis, blood film evaluation, cytology, urinalysis and diagnostic equipment usage. Procuring and shipping samples, preparing other testing procedures and maintaining diagnostic equipment;
- Maintaining medical records and logs for patient data, radiology, diagnostics, case dispositions, admissions, euthanasia, and controlled substances in accordance with regulations;
- Overseeing medical supply inventory. Ordering supplies and medications and logging controlled substances;
- Performing chemical capture activities and supporting veterinary staff with chemical capture operations. Maintaining anesthetic equipment and keeping up-to-date skills and knowledge on the protocol for capture operations;
- Implementing the internship/externship program including teaching and mentorship, development of procedures, work assignments, and performance evaluations;
- Cleaning, organizing, and maintaining veterinary hospital, mobile units, supplies, equipment, and chemical immobilization devices including purchasing and upkeep of inventory within budget;
- Administering, filling, and dispensing prescriptions as directed and instructing caregivers in the administration of prescriptions;
- Assisting with euthanasia and necropsy procedures and arranging necropsy/disposal;
- Ensuring hospital meets regulatory standards in accordance with DEA and OSHA;
- Attending and obtaining the necessary continuing education via conferences to maintain veterinary technician license;
- Participating in the emergency preparedness program and assisting in preparing operating procedures for disaster response, completing required FEMA training as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology or another animal related field, or equivalent work experience required;
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in veterinary technology required;
- Experience in zoo animal or equine medicine, preferred;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a License as a Veterinary Technician within 6 months;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a Texas state Veterinary Technician license within 6 months;
- Ability to work and train with the Animal Care Director and Director of Veterinary Medicine on euthanasia procedures and protocols required;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain up-to-date rabies prophylaxis and titer and TB testing;
- Must be skilled in a variety of laboratory testing and techniques;
- Proficiency of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Strong interpersonal skills are necessary;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This position is located in Murchison, TX.
Submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Please submit a cover letter and resumé online.
The Humane Society of the United States is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
- Full Address 12526 Co Rd 3806, Murchison, TX
- Job Street Address 12526 Co Rd 3806
- City Murchison