Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
Plenty is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Software and Data Systems team. The Software and Data Systems team designs and builds powerful systems for cooperative human-robot precision farming. Plenty grows nutritious and delicious plants sustainably at scale. To do this, we have created an operating system for high-precision, high-automation farming. In this role, you will be responsible for building sophisticated backend systems and software infrastructure for operating the farm. You will be joining a collaborative team of engineers with a strong software development background. We are process-light and rely on strong architecture and automation to maximize the impact of our small team. You will collaborate with Engineers, Product Managers and Project Managers within the software engineering team and across other cross functional teams.
- Design and implement Backend components for the FarmOS Execution System
- Help identify opportunities where production data can be highly leveraged to improve production yields, efficiencies, and quality
- Utilize Object-oriented design, domain driven design and analysis skills to design and implement backend-end software
- Maintain a rigorous standard for deploying clean, tested code in a highly collaborative environment with rapid iteration
- Create tooling, automation, and documentation to facilitate others in deploying, operating, and extending your code
- Design and implement a highly performant distributed system to orchestrate operations in the farm with an emphasis on performance, resiliency and scalability
- Manage and maintain evolving data systems for automation equipment logs and logic
- Collaborate with other members of the Engineering team through all phases of our agile software development lifecycle to deliver a holistic solution
- Education or experience equivalent to a B.S. or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or similar focus area and 2+ years of professional software development experience
- You have excelled at writing backend systems in Java
- An exceptional communicator — you thrive at translating product and business goals into robust technical solutions
- Experience with Git, CI/CD workflows and tools, and a diverse set of databases such as PostgreSQL and Snowflake
- Experience managing configuration in a public cloud (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- You are experienced using technologies in several of the following areas: microservices, various IPC models, Java, Spring or Guice, cloud-based deployments
- Experience to designing and implementing RESTful microservices based on user-research
- You approach your work with curiosity, creativity, initiative, and diligence
- A passion for creating sustainable, reliable and healthy food systems
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development — are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents – fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food safety requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All employees must show proof of COVID vaccination before starting work, other than in limited circumstances where the law requires an exception
- City South San Francisco
- Can Work Remote or in Office Can work either remotely or in office