Eat Just is looking for an experienced industry leader to manage our consumer product research & development. The candidate will build and improve our plant-based and cell culture-based product portfolio and create new paths for developing applications.
This role will be a key member of our R&D leadership team leading all aspects of food product related research and developments. You will manage a team and work cross functionally collaborating with our culinary chefs, protein chemists, cellular biologists, process engineers, quality specialists and regulatory group ensuring the creation of high quality and safe food products.
What you’ll do
- Lead and manage the Food Science and Sensory Science department, overseeing the technical development of multiple platforms including JUST Egg and GOOD Meat
- Function as a strong liaison between the Product Development, Process Science, Engineering, Protein and Analytical Chemistry, and Food Quality and Regulatory team to ensure successful completion of tasks
- Engage and assist in all aspects of product creation, pilot testing, scale-up, manufacturing and product maintenance
- Define strategy on new product development and continuous improvement of existing product categories from technical feasibility to implementation
- Work closely with product management group to ensure timelines are developed and up to date, project status communicated to stakeholders, and risks and dependencies highlighted
- Establish and strengthen external collaborations and partnerships to further product R&D
- Work with international general managers and teams to ensure product success in local markets
- Continue to build and develop the Food Science team ensuring cross training and professional development while guiding and assisting them to tackle hurdles.
- Oversee the development of Eat Just’s new sensory & consumer science program and provide support to the Director of Sensory Science
- Build a culture of ownership, sound science-based work and customer focused development among team members
- Work with the leadership team to implement/improve programs aligned with company goals streamlining cross-functional collaboration
What you’ll bring
- PhD in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of post-graduate relevant industry experience in a management position and an established track record of accomplishments
- In-depth technical understanding of food product formulation and processing; experience leading novelty products from concept to launch is a plus.
- Experience in using sensory science as a tool to bring product to market
- Creativity and knowledge in all areas of product creation including the ability to conceptualize, develop and implement product innovation programs
- Willing to execute both hands-on and leadership activities
- Results-focused and date-driven, able to contextualize company mission into concrete and deliverable goals
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple demands and objectives with aggressive deadlines
- Exceptional communication and demonstrated people managing skills
Additional Information & Requirements
This is a full-time position based out of our beautiful new headquarters in Alameda, CA. Work is 100% onsite. Some travel both domestically and internationally maybe required.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment, subject to accommodation as required by law. CDC defines fully vaccinated as: 2 weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfzier or Moderna vaccines; or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnsons Janssen vaccine.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Eat Just, Inc. and its subsidiaries participate in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employees Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Who we are
Eat Just is a food technology company with a mission to build a healthier, safer and more sustainable food system in our lifetimes. The company’s expertise, from functionalizing plant proteins to culturing animal cells, is powered by a world-class team of scientists and chefs spanning more than a dozen research disciplines. Eat Just created Americas fastest-growing egg brand, which is made entirely of plants, and the worlds first-to-market meat made from animal cells instead of slaughtered livestock. The company has been recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Entrepreneurs 100 Brilliant Companies, CNBCs Disruptor 50 and a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer. JUST Egg has been named among Popular Sciences 100 Greatest Innovations and Fast Company’s World Changing Ideas and the history-making debut of GOOD Meat was heralded as one of 2020’s top scientific breakthroughs by The Guardian, Vox and WIRED.
- Full Address 300 Wind River Way, Alameda, CA
- Job Street Address 300 Wind River Way
- City Alameda