At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
UPSIDE has experienced growth over the last two years and we are seeking an innovative individual who enjoys fast-paced growth and is passionate about changing the future of food! The Sr. Research Associate, Cell Culture Media will be responsible for setting up and running experiments to develop cell culture media formulations. The Sr. Research Associate, Cell Culture Media will analyze and interpret data, convey the study findings to small and large teams, and provide input for future experiments alongside the lead scientist.
- Use statistical DOE and other methods to design studies, analyze and interpret data.
- Executing cell culture studies at multiple scales including shake flasks, roller bottles and bench scale reactors.
- Present experimental results to small and large teams.
- Troubleshoot experimental workflows and issues that arise.
- Develop new and refine existing procedures for relevant areas.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks with detailed experimental designs and results.
- B.S. in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or closely related science with 4+ years of research laboratory experience.
- Desired: M.S. with 2+ years of post-graduate research and development experience in the biopharmaceutical or similar industry.
- Working knowledge or hands-on experience of cell culture processes and media development, and bioreactors.
- Experience with statistical software like JMP, Minitab, Simca, etc., is desirable.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, evolving, and cross-functional environment.
- Comfortable developing scientific knowledge base by learning new methods from peers, seminars, and scientific literature.
- Fosters a team environment collaborating scientifically with team members.
Who you’ll work with…
- This role will partner cross-functionally with R&D teams such as Upstream Development, Process Development, and Food R&D functions.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Accept direction from the Lead Scientist and execute in the lab independently within six weeks.
- Understand traditional and high throughput workflows in media development within the first three months.
- Present data demonstrating steps toward achieving 1 goal to a cross-functional team in the first three months.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
- City Emeryville