Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for a Senior Systems Administrator to join the Information Services Department. This is a temporary full-time exempt position, and is eligible for benefits. This role is anticpated not to exceed 12/31/2022. This is a fully remote role.
Works as part of a team to design, implement, and support WHOI’s computing infrastructure, with an emphasis on Linux server administration and storage management.
Works closely with scientists and researchers who are leaders in their fields, advising and assisting them with their computing, storage, and backup needs. Provides high level customer service, with demonstrated ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical users.
- Work with and provide system support to scientific users, researchers, and administrative
- Install, configure and monitor servers, both physical and virtual, with an advanced
knowledge and understanding of Linux server configurations including networking. Must
have experience with shell scripting (one or more of Bash, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Management of the Institution’s VMware clusters, including support for VMware Horizon
- Install, configure and monitor data storage. Should possess a thorough understanding of
mainstream file systems, RAID, and NAS protocols. Ideally also familiar with high
performance storage architectures (GPFS/Lustre/BeeGFS).
- Deploy and manage backup services for servers, storage appliances, and select end user
- Manage common infrastructure applications, such as Apache/IIS, J2EE services,
AD/OpenLDAP, MS SQL/MySQL/PostgreSQL, and certificate management.
- Keep current on new technologies as they relate to server administration, storage and
- As deemed necessary by supervisor
Education & Experience
• Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent
combination of skills/experience.
• 10+ years of experience supporting a large, networked computing environment.
• Experience with monitoring packages (e.g. Nagios), version control systems (e.g. SVN, GIT),
and automation/configuration orchestration (e.g. Ansible)
• Should have experience in at least one interpreted language (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby).
• Experience with cloud computing (IaaS) including AWS or Azure is a plus.
• Experience with container technologies (e.g. Docker, Singularity) and associated
orchestration tools (e.g. Kubernetes) a plus.
• Must be eligible for security clearance to work on systems with specific requirements.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Security Clearance
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to, ability to lift less than 25 lbs independently, 2 times per day; carry 10-25 lbs, 2 times per day. Visual abilities to include near, far, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing requirements include the ability to hear and respond to instructions, communicate effectively in loud areas (pier/dock, warehouse). Other physical tasks include occasional prolonged standing/walking; use of hands for basic /fine grasping and manipulation, repetitive motion, reaching above and below the shoulders, pushing, pulling, kneeling, bending, twisting, and stooping. Other occupational requirements include talking, traveling, working around others, and with others. Will be exposed to dust or other irritants and electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards. Physical duties are subject to change.
- Full Address 266 Woods Hole Road Woods Hole, MA
- Job Street Address 266 Woods Hole Road
- City Woods Hole